Math Paper 1 (MAY08)

ezex

Ok so we finally finished math tests. Have fun? ;) I'd have to say it was what I expected, no less no more. But is anyone itching to know how to do certain problems? I know for a fact that most people had problems with number 2 in paper 1, the one about sin(140), etc...So here it goes:

2. Given: Sin (40) = p, Cos (70) = q

(a)

(i) Find Sin (140)

Easy question: remember that an angle is the same as its supplement (depending on the quadrant it might change signs so watch out). So in reality, Sin (140) = - Sin (140 - 180) = - Sin (-40) = -(-p) = p

(ii) Find Cos (110)

same thing except the sign is different because cosine is - in the second quadrant (110 degrees is in the second quadrant). Cos (110) = -Cos (110-180) = -Cos (-70) = -(q)

(b) Find Cos (140)

Cos (140) = Cos (70 + 70) = Cos (2(70)) = (Cos (70))^2 - (Sin (70))^2 = 2(Cos (70))^2 - 1 = 2q^2 - 1

© Find Tan (140)

Tan (140) = Sin (140)/Cos (140) = p / (2q^2 - 1)

See how easy it was??? lol

All right so don't forget to ask any questions about either paper (the paper 2 discussion is in another thread) or any questions, if you guys know the question I'll be able to give you a full true answer to it ;)

:)

Are you talking about Math SL, paper 1? What time zone do you have? Because I don't remember that question....Then again, maybe we had different time zones paper.

Either way, my reaction afterwards was --> HELL!

and I know for a fact that pretty much more than half of the class also were 'What the HELL was THAT?!?!'

It was really hard and looking at the thread at TSR I've noticed that many people are complaining about the difficulty of it. I was shocked. I felt so bad when I was done.

Edited by Afterglow

yea we're time zone 2.. im guessing thats time zone 1

isnt that not fair though? r the curves seperate for each timezone? bcuz if not then i think its not fair since a paper might have been relatively easier than another :)

yea we're time zone 2.. im guessing thats time zone 1

isnt that not fair though? r the curves seperate for each timezone? bcuz if not then i think its not fair since a paper might have been relatively easier than another :)

They are separate for each TZ. And yes, ezex is talking about TZ1 since he's in the states, Europe onwards is TZ2

Guest vpatrickd

TZ2's Math Paper 1 was HELL man!

I agree with Afterglow. >_< All my friends were stressed because of it. One cried ( :) ). But seriously.. it was like hell.

hey aboud was the first question about IQR median and such in paper 1 math??

because that test was gd u are able to solve

as for paper 2 i remember that i was singing the whole test (humming to be precise) but i dont remember any question that i got which is like so weird.

no crying happened here but some guys saw the inegration sign for the first time in the test.

hey aboud was the first question about IQR median and such in paper 1 math??

because that test was gd u are able to solve

as for paper 2 i remember that i was singing the whole test (humming to be precise) but i dont remember any question that i got which is like so weird.

no crying happened here but some guys saw the inegration sign for the first time in the test.

hey... yes our exam started with a question about IQR.... i thought it was ok... but not all the people (especially my classmates...) I actually cant remember anything in the exam nowl... i only remember that the IBO logo was different and to the top right of the page instead of top left... lol