Do you need a theme?

appleme

i think its more of having unity in your art works, like having a theme, or by exploring a certain aspect in art... or maybe a technique.... but i think the best thing would be to have a theme... thats like the first thing our teacher told us the minute we walked in to her class lol =P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have a friend in my art class who's pretty random, and she can't pick a theme. she's been doing very very random pieces, but they're still brilliant in that unique way. my art teacher was concerned with her lack of a theme, and so they found a technical word (can't remember it now.. will post it later if you want). she basically made it sound like she was exploring the sub-conscious mind of dreams... i think you could get away with anything for that :) good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

most people tend to stick with a theme.

everyone in my class seemed to have one theme that they stuck with and i was the type that would jump from place to place

i had a few pieces that linked together and then i would have another few that were linked together by a completely different theme

my teacher told me that this was ok

though of course it's a bit easier to present your pieces if they're all linked in some manner but if not,

it's ok. they won't grade you down if you dont have one set theme. they just want you to describe what you were

going for and as long as you're able to back yourself up, they won't mark against you.

• 2 months later...