French Extended Essay

Sara Jog

Hey there!

It is not allowed to just ask for ideas on this forum. Both the IBO and the rules of this forum dictates that you have to do your own work. If you don't, you can be accused for plagiarism and you'll lose your diploma. As a result, we cannot give you any help before you show some reflections on the topic yourself. Right now you're asking something a zombie could manage to ask. This is why you don't start thinking about viable topics the day before (or the same day in this case).

Read the EE guide, especially the portion relating to your subject of interest (though don't use the examples). Also read the pinned topics in this forum. Then, draw a mind map of your ideas, choose one that you think is interesting.

Good luck!

• Like 1

thank you, but I meant something I could relate too, because I am sure I would like to do it in French. But not too sure about where to begin.

The deadline can wait, none of my classmates have given it in, it is considered as a checkpoint so could you elaborate.

Could a second language essay be in French written about the language?

You could certainly write an EE in French B, and, from what I could gather, it can be about the language. However, I can't answer this question with complete certainty, as I wrote my EE in History. That's why I suggest you read the EE guide, in particular the section dealing with language B extended essays. There you can find some examples of EEs in the languages (examples for EEs in all the IB subjects, in fact). The guide also includes a lot of the formal requirements, which are essential for any EE. Furthermore, the pinned threads in the EE sub-forum provides you with some information regarding planning the EE, and also how you should go through the process of writing it. I would start there, and if you have some questions that remain unanswered, please feel free to ask me.

Could a second language essay be in French written about the language?

Yes, you can for Language B. There are 'categories' of EE for Language B:

• Category 1 - Language, what you want to do
  • Category 2 - Culture and Society, where there are 2 mini-categories underneath it: Type A (essays of a sociocultural nature with an impact on the language), and Type B (general cultural nature focused on specific cultural artefacts)

All this can be found in the EE guide.

Personally, because I did a Group 2 EE, I was advised not to do Category 1 because it's difficult to score well in those types of EEs (says my supervisor), but if you have a good enough topic I don't see the problem in you doing an EE on the French language itself.

Alright ok sounds perfect. Im going to go ahead with doing my EE on French B in Cultures and Societies. But Im just wondering what possible topics there could be. I would like to investigate something to do with french culture, since Im doing my second homestay for 8 weeks this summer.

Any suggestions?

Alright ok sounds perfect. Im going to go ahead with doing my EE on French B in Cultures and Societies. But Im just wondering what possible topics there could be. I would like to investigate something to do with french culture, since Im doing my second homestay for 8 weeks this summer.

Any suggestions?

I'm afraid I can't give you a topic, it's part of the criteria to come up with something yourself. Plus, I really don't know French culture well enough myself to suggest something to you in the first place, and it has to be a topic that you won't be sick of in 8 months. But my supervisor told me this: it's best to do something that has happened recently. For example, the last person to write a Spanish EE in my school followed a specific theme on the ban on bullfighting, with new articles coming out during the course of her writing her EE. But in the end, it is your choice, so good luck!

EDIT: You should have a topic around March-ish time, so you have March until June or July to research, and the summer to write your first draft. (This is the schedule I was given my school to follow.)

Edited by carpediem

Any suggestions?

I'm afraid I can't give you a topic, it's part of the criteria to come up with something yourself. Plus, I really don't know French culture well enough myself to suggest something to you in the first place, and it has to be a topic that you won't be sick of in 8 months. But my supervisor told me this: it's best to do something that has happened recently. For example, the last person to write a Spanish EE in my school followed a specific theme on the ban on bullfighting, with new articles coming out during the course of her writing her EE. But in the end, it is your choice, so good luck!

EDIT: You should have a topic around March-ish time, so you have March until June or July to research, and the summer to write your first draft. (This is the schedule I was given my school to follow.)

Thank you, I was thinking of investigating the lack of public health in francophone countries. Thought of going to africa during the IB to carry out a survey and then France and Switzerland to do the same.

Having a hard time framing my question.

Thank you, I was thinking of investigating the lack of public health in francophone countries. Thought of going to africa during the IB to carry out a survey and then France and Switzerland to do the same.

Having a hard time framing my question.

Is there a way that you don't have to travel to do your topic? It isn't an IB requirement for you to travel to do your French B EE.

And try using the EE guide to help you frame your question, it may help focus the direction you want to go in.

Again, I live in India - which is not a francophone country.

My mother works with the UN and travels to Africa alot so it wouldnt be a hassle for me to go.

I live in Singapore, and that definitely is a country where Spanish isn't widely spoken. I had no trouble writing my EE. And the only other person who did a Language B EE in my school before me also did it in Spanish, and she had no problem getting an A. Point is, it's not required for you to actually be in the country where the language is spoken to do well on your EE - otherwise many, many, many Group 2 EEs would be graded down.

And if it's applicable to the research of your essay and you have to conduct the research in person, then go ahead and travel to francophone countries for your EE. The only problem is that if you need more research, or need to change your research and you are already back in India or it's the day before the deadline, you will have trouble in doing so because you did your research internationally. Just make sure you don't have major issues that can't be fixed quickly.

Also, in my experience my research for my EE were books and news articles, which could be accessed through a library or a computer with internet access. Try to use the resources you already have.

Good luck!

Alright then, thank you!

I would have to carry out a survey so I thought I could only do that in a francophone country. Do you know how I could frame my research question which relates to public health in different nations. Possibly the ban on smoking or something else.

Or a possible topic to do with the culture of france? Thanks!

I would have to carry out a survey so I thought I could only do that in a francophone country. Do you know how I could frame my research question which relates to public health in different nations. Possibly the ban on smoking or something else.

I think for these ideas they aren't specific enough to French/France, and could be applied to many other countries. And I'm afraid I don't know enough about French culture to help you, so you're going to do some research before choosing your topic. :) (And there's also a specific criteria for selecting your research question.)

If it's any indication, here is what I mean by a topic/question being specific enough to a culture: (this was my EE)

To what extent does the suspension of Baltasar Garzón (a famous and controversial Spanish judge) reflect Spain's inability to confront its recent past?

• 5 months later...