Human Rights Extended Essay

k10manion

Hey!
I have chosen to do my extended essay on Womens right in Saudi Arabia which fits into the category of Human Rights.
I am having trouble getting started with writing it and I was wondering if anyone knew the guidelines that I should start with.
Thanks
Kate

first of all, i think the title is too broad, narrow it down to an exact question. what is it that you are trying to reach through this paper? exploring whether they have rights or whether they dont or what exactly? i think that has to be something you think about first. and then i would suggest making lots and lots of research about everything and anything related to saudi and women. once you have all the information you need start writing.

when writing i suggest you put both views that are related to a topic, or they could be more but put all the different assumptions and everything, and in the end come to your own conclusion and justify it. one very important thing is that you cant make guesses! you have to make observations or conclusions through proof.

hope this helps =)

• 2 years later...

I'm also doing an EE on human rights but I'm choosing to do it on the death penalty in two countries (one has it and one doesn't) and how crime rates differ, taking into account the different lifestyles.

I have all the books and sources and material for this, but I can't seem to find out what 'human rights theory' it pertains to. For example, Women's rights in Saudi Arabia pertains to cultural relativism vs the universality of human rights.

Mine would be death penalty vs what?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm afraid you need to reconsider your options for two reasons:

- The title is still way too broad

- The title mirrors very closely to the one provided in the Extended Essay Gude (2009) under 'Human Rights':

"

The following are some examples of titles, research questions and approaches for human rights.

Title
The political rights of women in Saudi Arabia

Research Question

To what extent can the limited political rights of women in Saudi Arabia be justified?

Approach

Reading is undertaken to enable a description of the political rights of

women in Saudi Arabia and arguments that support such limitations. The

limited political rights are critically discussed in light of some human

rights theories—for example, cultural relativism and universality of human

rights

"

Therefore, if you still wish to do your EE on this topic, I suggest you narrow it down as much as possible, and possibly find another country to compare it with to make your EE more original. Or perhaps, you can focus on a specific right that Saudi women are denied. And I suppose a topic under human rights could be interdisciplinary with History?

• 8 months later...