Mock Examinations - Parent Teacher Meeting

Rufless

Okay so I have recently found out that my coursework in my psychology is a 3/7.

Mock exams have just finished and I will be writing in the 2013 IB exams, seeing as this site is called ibsurvival I figured I would ask:

Does anyone have any good method of revising?

I am extremely lazy and do almost anything to avoid working. (However when a subject is of interest to me I learn it well. )

-We have 8 weeks until May, the end.

I need to begin formulating a method of studying or revising to get me to become consistent in improving myself

I NEED TO GET GOOD GRADES; my IB co-ordinator said she is worried that I might fail the IB... I do not know why this might be but I sure as hell don't want to find out.

Please, please help me

Well then, here's some motivation: If you don't get off the couch you might fail the diploma.

I haven't taken psychology but you should essentially find a revision method that works for yourself. Others may give you some pointers, but you should choose one for yourself in which you feel the most comfortable. How do you revise for your other subjects that are similar to psychology? Are you taking another humanity? If how you revise for some other subject works, try the same for this.

Here are my general suggestions:

• Go over past papers and see if there are any general patterns and if there is anything the papers almost always ask.You
  • Write, don't read. It's slower, but you'll be able to absorb the content. On the exam, it's a whole different ball game when you're faced with a blank sheet of paper.
  • Look over the Psychology syllabus and see if you're not familiar with anything. I'm pretty sure anything on the syllabus is fair game.
  • Write down what you need to know, how you will study it and when you will get things done. Adhere to a written timetable.
  • I hear Psychology is a lot of reading; in that case maybe you should do some highlighting of important points?
  • If there is anything about psychology that interests you (hard to find, I know) use that as your motivation to study
  • Get enough sleep and take breaks to avoid overworking yourself. (lol, you? overworking?) [prove me wrong here]

Sorry if that was just some general thing I could say about any study topic, but I think it's enough to get you started. And what's this about a parent-teacher meeting you probably want to avoid?

Good luck!

Well, generally as a student I've always been told I have/had the tools to score very high, so there's nothing really limiting me other than my laziness.

I take a sport, which I love and I use as a way to avoid working - I should quit it just for 8 weeks to make a serious comeback (tell me your opinions).

Also, the ib co-ordinator said she was worried I would fail IB most probably regarding my mock exam grades.

but I need to find a general way of revising. Something to really motivate me.

To get good grades you have to WANT good grades... and if you want them enough, you'll be able to make yourself work for them. That's how it always works. What's the pressure on these exams? For me, my final exams meant meeting my University offers number one and meeting my own expectations & predictions second. That was easily enough to motivate me to revise, especially when I worked out how much time I had per subject to learn the entire thing!

As for doing a sport, I actually think that you need to keep up some balance. Otherwise you'll go crazy. Revision is much easier when you're physically calm and able to concentrate, rather than all energetic and irritable. I also think that sports help to organise people. Rather than having a whole day of time and wasting it, if part of it is already committed, for almost everybody I've ever known, I find it actually seems to help them crack on with things when they get the chance. Overall they do more work than the person who had all day. I don't know why, but it works out this way. I always try to do at least an hour of exercise every day during revision periods, it really helps de-stress you and focus the mind back.

• Like 1