Which subject shoud I choose?

pnvt23

I'm first year in the IB programme, and here are my subjects I'm doing now :
Math, Physics, Chem, Eco HL
Eng B, Italian ab inito and A1 seft-taught SL
I wonder if the university will consider the level of english I study in IB when I apply for the university in US.
Should I change the Eng B SL to HL? If so, which subject should I drop?
Thanks for your opinions.

Guest Lily Bean

It largely depends on what you want to do at university. I suppose Maths Phys Chem and Eco keeps a lot of doors open for you so unless you plan to do something like language at university, I'd drop Italian.

You obviously can't drop Eco but I really think that you shouldn't do 4 HL at your current combo. Math Phys Chem HL on its own is hard, let alone another HL on top of that. So I think you should drop a HL down to SL.

As for the US, I think as you'd have to take TOEFL anyway it doesn't really matter whether you do Eng B HL or not.

I can't drop Italian, because it's compulsory in my school.
Absolutely I will do Computer Science when I attend to the university. But I'm now having quite high result for HL subjects, so I'm wondering which one I should drop.

Guest iber2468

I found out this year universities don't give a crap about what you're HLs are as long as your marks are high.

Observe:

CASE 1
- Girl with 39 predicted, HL in math physics english
- Extensive extra-curriculars
- 2260 SAT
- Rejected from U. Penn (who, supposedly, is business-oriented so math hl is a good pick right?)

CASE 2
- Girl with 41 predicted, HL in bio, history, english
- Extensive extra-curriculars
- 2300 SAT
- Accepted at U. Penn (SL MATH!! SLLLL)

When it comes down to it, do what you LOVE, drop what's pulling you down, and MAXIMIZE MARKS!

It depends what you want to get into in university.

If you're going into the sciences, then I would drop eco HL, because obviously math and science HL are more important for that.

If you go into business, then drop the physics HL.

If you go into humanities/social science, then I would still drop physics.

So it really all depends what you want to go into.

Guest Lily Bean

You [i]want [/i]4 HL?!? I wouldn't do 4 HL, it's pretty tough, especially with Math Physics and Chem. I'd leave Eng at SL as well since as someone said, it's not really your level that matters in US universities. You'd want to maximise your points, and you can do that better with Eng SL.

• 3 weeks later...