Hi,

I am doing HL for Lang and Lit and have completed the main text answering one of the six questions for my written task 2. I understand that an outline must also be written, which is a substitute to a rationale.

My teacher's instructions were not very clear in terms of how an outline should be written (ib style) and what is in the criteria in the guide seems to be a little vague as well.

Can someone tell me more specifically how an outline (meeting the ib requirements) should be written and how it is different from a rationale.

Thanks~!

The outline should consist of three or four bullet points that demonstrate what you are going to do in the Written Task 2 you have written. Include what you are attempting to demonstrate through the written task, what it is about and how you are answering the question you have chosen. One example of an outline (with the prescribed question and source) for Written Task 2 could be this:

Prescribed question: Which social groups are marginalized, excluded or silenced within the text?

Title of the text for analysis: Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi 2000

Part of the course to which the task refers:Part 3: Literature – text and context

My critical response will:

• show how Marjane Satrapi grew up under oppression during the Islamic Revolution in Iran,
  • show how secularists, like Satrapi’s parents, also suffered and made sacrifices during this period,
  • show how others, such as nationalists and even Muslims, were tortured, executed and locked up,
  • demonstrate how the Marjane Satrapi uses various conventions of the graphic novel to achieve these ends.

Source: http://www.englishalanglit-inthinking.co.uk/wt2-questions-samples/wt2-q4-persepolis.htm

• Like 3