Advice for friend failing MSL with 2 months to go.

Pallavi

Hey guys,

My friend wants to know if there is a way to boost his grade from a 2 to at least a 5 in two months time. He doesn't really get what's taught in class and he has tried pretty much everything from Khan academy to tutoring.

He's kinda good in most of his other subjects and maths is the only thing pulling his total grade down, so he's really desperate to get his math grade up.

Any tips?

Tell him to practice. You can't do anything if you don't practice. When you practice and spend time, you start to think simultaneously into solving a problem. I have faced a similar problem and i came to realize that practice makes perfect, not only in that specific thing but it makes you a "perfect" thinker...It helps A LOT with A LOT of things. He has to practice. Spend like an hour every day after class and i can bet that your friend will get a 6 or even a 7.

Edited by shad0wboss
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it's possible. Don't give up.

I don't think my experience would qualify for his problem, because many people would go like "...shut up and you're good at maths so stop complaining over your 99% whatever.." PRASANNA STOP SHOOSHING ME.

Maths is not really about remembering about all the processes and formulaes and stuff, but it's more important to dissect the problem and see the logic behind it. THEN APPLY WHATEVER FORMULAE OR PROCESS THERE IS.

My advice? Go over each topic and make sure that you understand what they are talking about, what logic there is etc. and make sure that you memorize and understand all the definitions and stuff.

Finally, there will always be some unexpected questions in your test or exams. DO not worry that you havn't done them whatever. Look at the question. Look at the markscheme. Think about what they are expecting you to do. Think about how you can tackle the problem and the key words and informations in the question. Think about all the relevant informations in your exercises and stuff. It is the same with all the science subjects really.

I was worried about a similar situation and I just did every single past maths past paper I could get my hands on and every time I got stuck (most of the time) just badgered my teacher for ages and ages. The fact is that even if you don't entirely understand what you're doing, why and what you're achieving, if you practice enough you can just come up with a set of rules and approaches for all sorts of questions. You don't need to conceptually understand it, you just have to follow the rules to come up with the answer based on what you've been told. If you know the rules for how to differentiate something, or the bits to type into your calculator and which button will do what, how to draw the graph blah blah blah, you don't actually need to know what the hell differentiating something is or does, or why the graph looks like it does, what it is that you're actually finding... just get the answer and that's enough.

Basically the only way to raise your grade for the mathematically impaired is blood, sweat, tears and past papers until you feel like you're going crazy. I managed to raise my Maths grade from a 4 to a 6 in this manner right at the time of the exams. I'm not going to pretend I understood what I was doing, but it worked okay.

Personally, I agree with everyone else! He/she just needs to put his or her mind to it. They need to keep asking for help, if it does not work the first time, go again or ask someone different. My teachers always tell us that we should ask a peer first, and then if they are not able to help us or we still do not get it go to them! And honestly it works! Honestly I really do not think you can really study for math, but you just need to keep asking for help and practice the questions. I am in the same boat as your friend right now, luckily I still have until May 2014! But do not let him/her give up! And I also agree with the person above me that this youtube channel:

https://www.youtube....1?feature=watch

Does help a lot!