Is IB worth IT?

Shankstar6560

I'm very glad i'm doing IB. It has forced me to work harder and realize my potential, freshman and sophomore year i was just doing work and not really trying. But when i joined IB i couldn't do that anymore. My average went from an 88 to a 96. It also helped me to think more critically and analyze more in depth, as well as to think and develop ideas and questions on my own. It has helped a lot so far. And i feel superior to AP and regents kids hehe, there are only 14 kids in my grade that chose to take IB and there are 400 kids in my class. Sooo the school treats us differently, but in a good way. They let us design tshirts and then they payed for all of us to get them, and they get us monthly gift bags, as well as bringing us food for TOK. Its wonderful. And probably my favorite thing about it, is how it makes me feel. I'm actually proud of myself, and i'm proud to be one of the 'smart kids'. :)

• Like 8

When I first heard of IB talking about how you can get university credit early and don't need to pay for those courses. I was so stoked upon doing IB. I did pre-IB in such a breeze thinking the rest of IB will be so easy like that. Well I was wrong entirely, and ignorant me never thought of looking up more into it.

Grade 11 was a blow to the head at the start because I have never expected the workload, stress, and upped difficulty.

I think iB was definitely worth it in my character because I was forced to work really hard, forced to ask for help on stuff I didn't know, etc.

I have never worked harder in my life during my 1 year and 3/4.

I am able to analyze critiquely and be more aware of everything I'm doing. It also prepared me to think of what I want to do for a living really early than anybody in my school ever did.

I am more prepared for university than ever.

I thought of myself as smart, I see other people and is baffled upon their ability to comprehend and understand all the material at a much better rate than I ever could. So that passion to be part of the best is pretty awesome.

My favourite moment had to be ToK because my mind have kind of unlocked at that course and I was really loving every single moment of it. I love how the iB kids at my school get so many field trips in comparison to non-IB so I was stoked about that.

An improvement on the iB is nothing. I'm surprised to type that but the new programme so far is doing pretty well.

Sorry, for all of the disjointed thoughts but I don't really have enough time to edit this right now at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm almost done with the first year of IB, and I am so happy that i started the IB. Personally I cant picture myself in any other program. My teachers are really good, the things we study are so interesting, and I have met so many amazing people. I definitely believe that this will help me prepare for college, and that it has given me friends for life. But there is a loooot of work and assignments and homework, and there are times when I feel like jumping of a bridge, however as long as you are ambitious and able to keep that goal of graduating with good grades, you will make it through.

• Like 2

IB in a word? Demanding. But it's also refreshing- it changes your perspective immensely. Before I came into the IB, the concepts I learnt were just that: concepts brainy people came up with that I was just supposed to accept and learn if I wanted to succeed in school. But now, each concept is an idea- it's malleable, something you can try playing with. Even though they're still concepts conceived by brainy people years ago, IB pushes you to ask "Why" and "How". I really enjoy this aspect of the program. HL subjects are particularly interesting (granted, of course, that you like the subject) because the degree of depth, though challenging, is really eye-opening. I even become a bit more fond about Math, a subject I previously detested. The approach is amazing. In terms of further education, it challenges and thus thoroughly prepares you by instilling effective habits (yes, even procrastination and cramming) and dealing with the obstacles at a particularly early age.

• Like 3

IB is...time consuming, but certainty as challenging as it can get for a high school programme. I thought it only was so time consuming because of the enormity of the number of tasks for certain subjects. Substantively, I didn't really find the IB opened my mind to new possibilities or anything like that. Analytical skills, etc. were things I already had and was simply given the opportunity to exercise them in my schoolwork more directly, which was a welcome change from the tedium of constant memorisation.

Overall though, the IB is just an inch harder than high school in general, it's really nothing special nor life changing (in my opinion).

Reading the posts above, I see that I am clearly in the minority, lol.

• Like 5

I don't think it is. There's unnecessary burden on students which should be but some people might find it "positive", i don't. Extended Essay is pretty much useless, especially the Science one as you have to do a proper practical and it just eats up so much time that one could spend on studying other subjects, the opportunity cost is a lot. TOK is ok i guess but again, Philosophy being a separate subject is pretty much the same to me however i still find TOK fun. The restriction that one has to choose 3 HL and 3 SL, is ridiculous as i wanted to switch my HL geo to HL film but i couldn't as my timetables didn't match and i could only replace my HL by another HL (with time table restrictions) or i would have to take one of my SL subjects at HL.

Overall, it may help you weigh up your CV when applying to universities (to some extent, compared to A levels, as universities in UK require the same level of A level grade as IB credits) or jobs...but i could have been doing 3-4 A level subjects with all the unnecessary trouble and could be outperforming in them.

Seriously, if you know that you're going to go to a specific university, then there's little to no point of doing IB.

• Confused 1

First of all, let me just assure you about the right choice you made of joining the IB. To begin with, IB transforms your entire outlook at subjects you may used to hate earlier, for example: Math. Yes, math. I used to be a whole Nazi about anti maths earlier, but the Internal Assessment portfolios got me to think, maybe it isn't as bad as I think it could be. Along with the transformation of perspective in your subjects of interest, IB endeavors to make you an all rounder of a person, and yes, to an extent does happen to make you a person with attributes of the IB Learner profile (yes, i did think we weren't ever going to use that at all too.)

Also, the IB program, as it is well recognized, would fetch you good scholarships and universities abroad. Most universities accept IB and give you credits based on your IB mark. This would definitely give you an upper hand from the rest of your batch mates, maybe if you have enough credits you (maybe, i don't really know) could graduate earlier in your Undergraduate Studies.

Yes, the IB could be taxing with the number of submissions that would load up, but then the harder you work, the closer you are to your goal.

Do I regret taking IB? Yes, because I could have been cruising in high school this whole time, but also no, not really because chances are, without it, I'd have a harder time getting into a uni of my choice and uni (and eventually work) will probably be much more of a breeze for me than for other people graduating out of my class (non-IBers). I'd say it really depends on the kind of person you are and the way you respond to pressure, stress and challenges. You're the only one who can truly decide whether or not IB is worth it. :-bd

Best IB memories would be late night cram sessions with my friends and of course celebrating after mocks are over, amazing feelings of camaraderie through shared suffering. A close second would probably be killing myself over my first Math IA and getting a 7. The feeling was unbelievable. I just wish my school offered more courses. Would've like to take Bio or Environmental Systems instead of Physics HL, a Latin-based language instead of Mandarin and maybe Math Studies because I'm a lazy ass. I think in theory, IB is great, but most schools just suck at implementing it in practice without killing their students. Whatev, nothing I can do about that.

• Like 2

Errrrrmmmmmmmmm no. The IB is a terrible program to me and I'd rather it didn't exist. It's rather superficial to me (read: IB learner profile is poop) and a lot of it is unnecessary. It hasn't improved my chances of getting into university, nor has it made me more insightful. Just more open to the amount of bullcrap teachers use to convince you to do something.

The program itself is difficult at times but overall, it isn't as scary as some have said. What makes it difficult is the amount of useless stuff they put into it. SL subjects are unnecessary, TOK is the worst thing since ever and the EE doesn't prepare you for anything really. It's not like those who didn't do it will lag behind you ridiculous amounts because of it. They'll catch up very quickly so it doesn't make you stand out in anyway. You get a year plus to write 4000 words... when at university you'll need to do that with much less assistance, greater pressures and time constraints. Whoever said TOK will help at university interviews can eat a shoe.

How could I forget CAS? It hasn't done anything for me. A lot of people fake it, I strongly doubt they take the time to read our reflections and if we didn't have to do CAS, we probably would continue to do things like sport and what not without feeling like we need to log hours for it. Nobody told me forced volunteering was the same as volunteering. But apparently it is.

However, I think the mere circumstances I was in reduces the hostility I have towards the IB. The A levels I was planning on taking weren't that great and I probably could have done much better choosing them. It's changed the subject i'm planning on studying at university and I've met some great people because of the IB.

To summarise, the IB is nothing special at all. Just another education program that seems to inflate its own importance. I will forever think that charging for past papers is ridiculous. I will never in my life buy their iPad case and I weep for anyone that even considers buying one and the IB learner profile needs to sit down... forever. Alone in the dark and leave me to be. I never want to sit through another assembly about it again.

• Like 6

That's a tough question, but from what I have experienced in the IB, it's given me a lot of freedom.

In India, the education system is tots rigid, like you have these set syllabi and the exam formats are "question with exact answers." There's no space for developing your own ideas or thoughts on things and issues and God Forbid if you ever question the textbook!!

The IB let's me do whatever it is that I want! At least, my subjects allow me to do that. I get a lot creative freedom in my academics which makes it worthwhile.

The other thing is the number of ECs I get to engage in. Before the IB, the little debating I did was heavily frowned on because "it took away from time I could be in class or studying!" Now, if anybody (mum, teachers, admin) say anything to me about my ECs, all I have to say is "CAS"! and everyone shuts the eff up, which is again, liberating!

There's also the fact that alongside my academic-y subjects for law, I'm also continuing my theatre and dance studies and even getting credit and certificates for all the work I put into them.

I love the IB because it's the only programme available to me that gives me complete freedom and control over my academic life. :D

It's my nerd-heaven!

:nerd::yahoo:

• Like 3

Looking at the posts above, I can see that those awed by the IB are mostly either 2014ers (so not yet really touched by the IB stress) or from States (so not really bothered by the result, from what I gathered about US uni admission system). So I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

I am stressed, yes. And tired, yes. Why I am happy that I chose the IB? Because for me, personally, it made applying to the UK much easier. That's all, the sole reason and benefit from taking the IB. Save for this site and some amazing friends I made thanks to being in this programme, but that's circumstancial, not IB-related, tbh.

• Like 2

Considering all the bastardry the IB put me through (exacerbated by my school's general incompetence), balanced against the fact that you don't get anything from it except for unnecessary mega stress and tiredness about a year before everybody else (most people get to wait until University - and I can confirm that having gone through it all before doesn't stop it being hell at Uni either)... it's not really got much in its favour, to be honest. Perhaps I'd be happier if the IB gave me some of the stuff mentioned before - ability to express my own thoughts and analysis or whatever - but as A Levels also offered this in perhaps slightly more depth, I can't really relate!

I did get to do world (as opposed to English) literature so I suppose that's something. Wasn't really worth it just for that though! :P Also, as Gaby said, you do make some great friends and when meeting other IB people later in life, you realise that the massive shared trauma of the whole thing is actually very bonding. Again though, not an acceptable trade-off!

In my opinion, your views on the IB change when you get towards the end of IB2 and exam time, and those are the memories that stick with you. It also is massively altered by the amount that your school **** the whole thing up, because it can really make the whole thing seem like a marathon when you're being shat on by the school and the IB simultaneously and synergistically.

• Like 1

Most definitely! Think about it... it might be a pain in the *** but honestly? It's totally worth it!

I mean have you seen the peoples faces when you tell them that you are in the IB? It's an awesome program and you can be so damn smug about it hahah but if you really think about it, sure it's demanding and horrible at times but it prepares you for the university studies and teaches you how to take responsibility and it gives you the opportunity to find yourself and to build up your own personality... it gives you character and makes you strong and independent. We might dislike it to some extent now but I am sure that we will be grateful for all of the things the IBDP has taught us during the years.

Before I started the IB program I was getting kind of tired of the same school system that I'd been in for the past 11 years, so I wanted to change it up a bit.

For me, the IB has definitely helped when it comes to time management. I have become way more structured and try my best whenever there is a task coming up.

I think it prepares you for the university because of the big hand-ins that you have a long time to finish, making you have to be disciplined and manage the time you have in order to complete the work in time.

I've only been in the IB for half a year, but I definitely think it's worth it so far.

I'm very glad i'm doing IB. It has forced me to work harder and realize my potential, freshman and sophomore year i was just doing work and not really trying. But when i joined IB i couldn't do that anymore. My average went from an 88 to a 96. It also helped me to think more critically and analyze more in depth, as well as to think and develop ideas and questions on my own. It has helped a lot so far. And i feel superior to AP and regents kids hehe, there are only 14 kids in my grade that chose to take IB and there are 400 kids in my class. Sooo the school treats us differently, but in a good way. They let us design tshirts and then they payed for all of us to get them, and they get us monthly gift bags, as well as bringing us food for TOK. Its wonderful. And probably my favorite thing about it, is how it makes me feel. I'm actually proud of myself, and i'm proud to be one of the 'smart kids'. :)

I'm almost done with the first year of IB, and I am so happy that i started the IB. Personally I cant picture myself in any other program. My teachers are really good, the things we study are so interesting, and I have met so many amazing people. I definitely believe that this will help me prepare for college, and that it has given me friends for life. But there is a loooot of work and assignments and homework, and there are times when I feel like jumping of a bridge, however as long as you are ambitious and able to keep that goal of graduating with good grades, you will make it through.

IB in a word? Demanding. But it's also refreshing- it changes your perspective immensely. Before I came into the IB, the concepts I learnt were just that: concepts brainy people came up with that I was just supposed to accept and learn if I wanted to succeed in school. But now, each concept is an idea- it's malleable, something you can try playing with. Even though they're still concepts conceived by brainy people years ago, IB pushes you to ask "Why" and "How". I really enjoy this aspect of the program. HL subjects are particularly interesting (granted, of course, that you like the subject) because the degree of depth, though challenging, is really eye-opening. I even become a bit more fond about Math, a subject I previously detested. The approach is amazing. In terms of further education, it challenges and thus thoroughly prepares you by instilling effective habits (yes, even procrastination and cramming) and dealing with the obstacles at a particularly early age.

First of all, let me just assure you about the right choice you made of joining the IB. To begin with, IB transforms your entire outlook at subjects you may used to hate earlier, for example: Math. Yes, math. I used to be a whole Nazi about anti maths earlier, but the Internal Assessment portfolios got me to think, maybe it isn't as bad as I think it could be. Along with the transformation of perspective in your subjects of interest, IB endeavors to make you an all rounder of a person, and yes, to an extent does happen to make you a person with attributes of the IB Learner profile (yes, i did think we weren't ever going to use that at all too.)

Also, the IB program, as it is well recognized, would fetch you good scholarships and universities abroad. Most universities accept IB and give you credits based on your IB mark. This would definitely give you an upper hand from the rest of your batch mates, maybe if you have enough credits you (maybe, i don't really know) could graduate earlier in your Undergraduate Studies.

Yes, the IB could be taxing with the number of submissions that would load up, but then the harder you work, the closer you are to your goal.

That's a tough question, but from what I have experienced in the IB, it's given me a lot of freedom.

In India, the education system is tots rigid, like you have these set syllabi and the exam formats are "question with exact answers." There's no space for developing your own ideas or thoughts on things and issues and God Forbid if you ever question the textbook!!

The IB let's me do whatever it is that I want! At least, my subjects allow me to do that. I get a lot creative freedom in my academics which makes it worthwhile.

The other thing is the number of ECs I get to engage in. Before the IB, the little debating I did was heavily frowned on because "it took away from time I could be in class or studying!" Now, if anybody (mum, teachers, admin) say anything to me about my ECs, all I have to say is "CAS"! and everyone shuts the eff up, which is again, liberating!

There's also the fact that alongside my academic-y subjects for law, I'm also continuing my theatre and dance studies and even getting credit and certificates for all the work I put into them.

I love the IB because it's the only programme available to me that gives me complete freedom and control over my academic life. :D

It's my nerd-heaven!

Most definitely! Think about it... it might be a pain in the *** but honestly? It's totally worth it!

I mean have you seen the peoples faces when you tell them that you are in the IB? It's an awesome program and you can be so damn smug about it hahah but if you really think about it, sure it's demanding and horrible at times but it prepares you for the university studies and teaches you how to take responsibility and it gives you the opportunity to find yourself and to build up your own personality... it gives you character and makes you strong and independent. We might dislike it to some extent now but I am sure that we will be grateful for all of the things the IBDP has taught us during the years.

Before I started the IB program I was getting kind of tired of the same school system that I'd been in for the past 11 years, so I wanted to change it up a bit.

For me, the IB has definitely helped when it comes to time management. I have become way more structured and try my best whenever there is a task coming up.

I think it prepares you for the university because of the big hand-ins that you have a long time to finish, making you have to be disciplined and manage the time you have in order to complete the work in time.

I've only been in the IB for half a year, but I definitely think it's worth it so far.

All of you come back at the end of your IB journey and tell me if you think the same thing afterwards. Please :P

• Like 2

It's my nerd-heaven!

All of you come back at the end of your IB journey and tell me if you think the same thing afterwards. Please :P

I second that, while crying over the 5th draft of my Polish WA.

• Like 2

As someone currently at university, I can definitely tell you that the IB didn't teach me anything, at all, to prepare for university (unless you count the ability to footnote? That was pretty much the only thing I learnt from the IB that I've taken with me to university).

How exactly do you think the IB is preparing you for university study? I'm genuinely curious to find out.

I guess that depends on where you live... since IB is so much more demanding and so much more different than the other high school programs in Sweden it teaches us how to take responsibility for our own studies since we never really learn how to do that in the early school years. Former IB students in weden feel that they are doing a lot better than their classmates since they know how to study and how to do deal with the stress etc. ^.^'