Chemistry SL or HL? NEED HELP FAST!

danny1996

Im a student in IB1. In our school we have to choose whether we want SL or HL in our subjects at the end of our first year of IB. I want to study medicine. The subjects I've signed up for next year are:

ITGS SL

Math Studies SL

Bio HL

English A1 HL

Arabic B HL

I also take chemistry but im having trouble figuring out whether SL or HL is the right choice for me. Can someone please help me? My current grade in chemistry SL is 72%. That's a 6 out of 7. I want to take chemistry HL but I'm afraid because it might be too hard. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

I talked to the IB coordinator in our school. She said Math Studies wasn't accepted before for medicine. But now it's accepted in most places. She also said many students also manage through with Chemistry SL. My main concern is my final grade. I am aiming to get 6's in all of my HL subjects. I'm not very confident that I can do that very easily since my grade in chemistry SL is now a 6 at the moment. Is there a drastic difference in difficulty in the two courses? If I do choose to take Chemistry HL, keep in mind that I'll also have to work with 4 HLs instead of 3.. HELP >.< dilemmmaaaa

In a nutshell: HL
Short version: Take Chemistry HL
Long version: If you want to study medicine, you need Chemistry HL. Most of the unis require Bio and Chem at HL and all my medicine-related classmates take Bio and Chem HL, If you have 72% from Chemistry currently, you shouldn't worry too much, you'll probably do well. If you really don't want to take Chemistry at HL, you should change your university plans :D

As I said before, my first priority is to end up with good grades :( especially with my HL subjects.

Well, the problem is, if you don't have the subjects unis list as entry requirements, they won't care how good your grades are, they will simply reject you.

• Like 3

I think my school worked a little differently because of the amount of IB classes we have, but I took Chemistry SL and HL each for one year, instead of a two year HL course, and I'm testing in both, one counting for my diploma and one not. If your school offers that, you could also try to do that. It worked well for me.

I think my school worked a little differently because of the amount of IB classes we have, but I took Chemistry SL and HL each for one year, instead of a two year HL course, and I'm testing in both, one counting for my diploma and one not. If your school offers that, you could also try to do that. It worked well for me.

Can I just ask what exactly is the point of what you're doing? Cause I can't really figure it out. 6 exams instead of just 3? In the same subject? Why???

To further Gaby's post about being rejected, yes go with HL. Maybe sometimes they don't specify which must be at HL (though they want either Bio or Chem at HL) but frankly, if you were shying away from difficult science work, they might question whether you're suitable for medicine at all. Medicine is insanely competitive, and if you try to push through with a 6 in SL, then the masses going for medicine with a 6 in HL will just get you rejected - unless there are perhaps extraordinary circumstances, maybe like you get an exceptional score in the entrance test such as the UKCAT, or maybe lots of work experience.

Basically though, if you want to do medicine, the way they see it is surely science is your passion, and you would want to do HL Bio and Chem, unless you had a very good reason to choose otherwise? I'm afraid that if I were to deny the significant disadvantage you would be put in, I would not be benefiting you, because truth is it's insanely competitive enough for people with 6s in HL Bio and Chem...

• Like 1

To further Gaby's post about being rejected, yes go with HL. Maybe sometimes they don't specify which must be at HL (though they want either Bio or Chem at HL) but frankly, if you were shying away from difficult science work, they might question whether you're suitable for medicine at all.

There isn't really a med school in the UK that doesn't require chemistry HL. HL Biology that isn't necessarily needed.

TL;DR

Do HL chemistry.

To further Gaby's post about being rejected, yes go with HL. Maybe sometimes they don't specify which must be at HL (though they want either Bio or Chem at HL) but frankly, if you were shying away from difficult science work, they might question whether you're suitable for medicine at all.

There isn't really a med school in the UK that doesn't require chemistry HL. HL Biology that isn't necessarily needed.

Not quite true, unis can ask for both, with at least one at SL and one at HL, which is what I said. Plus, I've heard Biology to be most relevant in medicine, Chemistry also of course, but more to show affinity for science due to it being a very difficult science. First uni I just checked was St George's, and I lifted this from their site:

International Baccalaureate Award Full award diploma including Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay modules (re-sits not accepted). Scores 666 at Higher Level (HL).

666 at Standard Level (SL). Subjects

Chemistry and Biology (at least one to HL and the other to SL).

Mathematics and English Language (both to SL).

Point still stands, though. Do Chemistry HL, it will just magnify your prospects. Your competition will have HL.

Edited by TykeDragon

It dependson the amount you out into CHem SL , if you put less effort and get 6 /7 , then probably you should go for it. the main diffrence i find between HL and SL is that , the Labs are more frequent and they marked more stringent and the level of questions is slightly higher because of the content.

Not quite true, unis can ask for both, with at least one at SL and one at HL, which is what I said. Plus, I've heard Biology to be most relevant in medicine, Chemistry also of course, but more to show affinity for science due to it being a very difficult science. First uni I just checked was St George's, and I lifted this from their site:

International Baccalaureate Award Full award diploma including Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay modules (re-sits not accepted). Scores 666 at Higher Level (HL).
666 at Standard Level (SL). Subjects

Chemistry and Biology (at least one to HL and the other to SL).
Mathematics and English Language (both to SL).

Point still stands, though. Do Chemistry HL, it will just magnify your prospects. Your competition will have HL.

Can I just ask what exactly is the point of what you're doing? Cause I can't really figure it out. 6 exams instead of just 3? In the same subject? Why???

6 exams instead of 3?

I'm taking Math SL and Chemistry SL. And then Physics HL, English HL, History HL, and Spanish HL to count for my diploma.

Then I'm taking the Math HL and Chemistry HL exams as well so I can have the HL tests under my belt as well. But they're not counting toward my IB Diploma score. More credits in the university, and more knowledge on the subjects.

Medical careers are very competitive, so you need an impressive application. If you take Chemistry SL and Math Studies, you run the risk that others who take Chem HL and Math SL/HL may be selected over you.

If you really want to enter a medical career, you should challenge yourself. Work really really hard, and you should be able to make it through. Anyways, for medicine you will have to work till your brain stalls so I recommend that you get a head start on the game! :)

take chem HL! its super worth it, so fascinating, and if you are doing teh human biochemistry option, it overlaps with biology topic 3/7 completely!

i got B's for science last year (myp) and just got a 6/7 for chemistry and 7/7 for biology. its all about your notes as i see it, especially with the fact that 76% of the grade is test based (and therefore objective based) and 24% is for lab reports/IA's - which is compulsory on the same levels in SL and HL. plus, with sl, there are some things you wil never understand because the explanations adn extensions are in hl. if ud like, i could help you with your notes, feel free to contact me