Binding exam papers

Shorty

Here is the story...

Today I took my French exam. As I finished paper 1, the ib-coordinator instructed us to use the string he is handing out to hold the pages together. I wasn't sure if i heard correctly but yes he did say string. I can't believe that my exams are held together by a little piece of string and 2 plastic sticks.

they look kind of like this...(the plastic is about twice the size of the diagram)

|***|

***- the string

| - the plastic

I would have thought it would have been some kind of metal O-Rings binding these things together but a piece of string and some plastic!? I wonder if they have ever had any accidents involving loss of sheets of paper.

Anyone else find this a little disturbing?

Edited by Shorty

Guest iber2468

That's right. We used the same thing for planning labs and at first I tried to twist it into some elaborate tie before realizing that oh, all you have to do is poke it through.

Guest syrianstar

Hmmm.... I did my GCSEs last year and I remember that our papers were stapled together like a booklet - they only gave you the strings if you used extra writing paper.

So they use the strings to bind the official exam papers together, as in not just extra papers? That sounds really dodgy.......I'm actually worried for anyone whose doing their exams this year (in the hope they fix this problem by next year!) I hope nothing gets lost for you guys :D

EDIT: I just noticed this is my 50th post....that means I'm a VIP! :angry: lol

Edited by syrianstar

Guest Lily Bean

The official exam paper are individual sheets so you don't get a booklet or anything. So all of it gets held together by the plastic thingy. I agree with you, not the best option. But I dont think they'll change it any time soon though, I think they've been using that for ages.

Guest julz_90
I remember reading some where that if they lose your exam then the official predicted grade your teacher submitted will be used as your final grade.

have no idea whether that's true or not though.

Last year, the multiple choice papers (biology) of my school mates went lost... they were on a car in venezuela and the car got stolen...

as far as I know, they sorted it out like that: they just didn't count the paper and calculated a biology mark with paper 2 and 3, and if a candidate was very close to getting a higher mark, they gave it to him (e.g. if someone had a 5 but was only a few marks from a 6, they gave him a 6).

I'd be rather pissed off if my papers went lost... although it's kinda funny to know thy're being sent all around the world. for example, my latin paper 1 was sent to malawi :P

when we saw them we were all amazed too. the coordinator said they didn't use staples because the strings (IBeads as we call them...) allowed the paper to lie flat instead of bending them. that makes NO SENSE to me though, because the little plastic things have more width/depth than staples do... it'll still make the upper corner fatter. :P

i dont think its possible to lose papers... when i fastened them together i tried to flip my answer papers in all directions and angles... it is extremely difficult to lose any of the papers... the probability of the plastic thingy going through the hole is VERY Small... and even if its lost... our papers have the candidate number and sheet number on each one... lol

Guest quisquis

These string tags are among the weirdest things the IBO managed to come up with, and this means something, obviously.

One could build an alumni organisation with them as identification sign - if one is looking forward to being constantly reminded about the IB exams, that is.