i have to hand in my IB choices list in a week's time. i was wondering if my combination would be too challenging. please help me! :)

alexxa

my choices are;

1. English Literature HL

2. History HL

3. Geography HL

4. Chinese Language B SL

5. Biology SL

6. Math SL

would this combination of Geography HL and History HL be too challenging? personally, i'm interested in all three of my HL subjects, but i'm afraid these three writing heavy subjects would add up to tons of work. please contribute personal experience and give me some advice!

your help would be much appreciated. :)

Geography ~> Pure memorisation and CASE STUDIES!!!!!!!!

Geography ain't that bad.

I take standard but from what my friend says from higher level, its just like standard with more content.

Geography is really easy, not a lot of difficult concepts. Just memorise, memorise and memorise.(Case studies are everything)

Not alot of writing for Geography so far. If you're good at Human sciences, you'll do well.

Can't say anything about History though.

I don't think it's definitely not too challenging, History HL and Geography HL go really well together. Plenty of the History kids in my class take both History HL, Geography HL and English HL together.

I don't take Geography, but in History you should be able to memorize facts and figures, enjoy reading, and be able to write a good analytical essay. The facts and figures serve as that extra needed knowledge in essays, so it's definitely not purely memorizing facts. Be prepared to take plenty of notes, given tons of reading, but you'll be totally fine if you enjoy these things.

I do both History and Geography - I originally had both at HL but then dropped History to SL. Both are based on memorisation, and generally if you have an interest in contemporary affairs and politics it will aid you in both subjects. However, I would say that Geography is more memorisation and regurgitation in exams, whereas history requires a deeper level of synthesis. Having said that, both are still quite challenging.

As long as you are willing to memorise, and to synthesise your understanding into strong analytical answers for exams (which comes from practice), you should be okay even if your 3 HLs are all writing. Otherwise, consider taking either Biology, Maths or Chinese up to HL to make up for it.

We can't really tell you for sure if something is too difficult or not. We don't know you. If you, as you say, have an interest in your highers, then I doubt it will be too challenging. IB is challenging overall, but it's bearable (though stressful and tiring, but never ask an IB student less than 2 months before the exam about anything IB-related :P).