Infinite surds

tmgt5

We also got this one in our SL class a few months back. I had a lot of fun doing it.

How can anyone enjoy doing maths IAs?

Haha...well I think it's a lot more fun exploring maths, coming up with your own formulas and being a bit lost, rather than solving exercises where you know what you're suppose to do.

• Like 1

Haha...well I think it's a lot more fun exploring maths, coming up with your own formulas and being a bit lost, rather than solving exercises where you know what you're suppose to do.

I can agree that the type 1 was interesting, but the stress and the "oh-no-what-if-it-isnt-good-enough"-feelings outweighed the pleasure I got form it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just handed this one in on Monday, after working for a considerable amount of time on it. I was just wondering, was anybody else's really, REALLY long? For my practice portfolios, the max that I had was 19 because of the millions of graphs that were required (it was on sin functions), but this one added up to about 28. =S There's no real restriction for these math portfolios, right?... I'm kinda scared now. :P

hey.

im not sure if this was already answered, if it was sorry.

but how exactly do you find the exact value of an infinite surd?

i'm completley lost XD

I'm not sure how muvh I can help you, but square the whole expression and think quadratic formula.

I just handed this one in on Monday, after working for a considerable amount of time on it. I was just wondering, was anybody else's really, REALLY long? For my practice portfolios, the max that I had was 19 because of the millions of graphs that were required (it was on sin functions), but this one added up to about 28. =S There's no real restriction for these math portfolios, right?... I'm kinda scared now. XD

Woooah!!?! 28 pages? I had mine at about 15 I think. 28 pages sounds more like an Extended Essay in maths :)

I just handed this one in on Monday, after working for a considerable amount of time on it. I was just wondering, was anybody else's really, REALLY long? For my practice portfolios, the max that I had was 19 because of the millions of graphs that were required (it was on sin functions), but this one added up to about 28. =S There's no real restriction for these math portfolios, right?... I'm kinda scared now. XD

Woooah!!?! 28 pages? I had mine at about 15 I think. 28 pages sounds more like an Extended Essay in maths :)

Mine was also about 15 pages, but I didn't do very well...

Yeah, a lot of other people had around that amount too. Looking back, I might've been able to reduce it by a couple near the end, but I didn't want to go through the pain of reformatting again. Plus, I'd be willing to say that half of it is mostly calculations, a few graphs, tables of values, etc. that are all very space-consuming and probably increased the page count by that much. :P

My friend had around 30 though, so at least I didn't have some special place as the "crazy boy" in terms of length, in this instance, at least. :)

Click on INSERT at the top of the screen and from the drop down menu select "Object" (near the bottom). A small window appears for you to choose your object type. You want "Microsoft equation" ,which is the default on mine, click on OK. You get 2 rows of symbols and the roots (radicals) are in the 2nd box on the bottom row. Click on this and a drop down menu appears and you choose the one you want.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Woooah!!?! 28 pages? I had mine at about 15 I think. 28 pages sounds more like an Extended Essay in maths XD

Yeah, a lot of other people had around that amount too. Looking back, I might've been able to reduce it by a couple near the end, but I didn't want to go through the pain of reformatting again. Plus, I'd be willing to say that half of it is mostly calculations, a few graphs, tables of values, etc. that are all very space-consuming and probably increased the page count by that much. :P

My friend had around 30 though, so at least I didn't have some special place as the "crazy boy" in terms of length, in this instance, at least. :D

It probably depends a bit on how large your tables/diagrams are, so you can't really judge its grade from the length of it

Edited by Tilia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello!

So, I have a good chunk of the Type 1 potrfolio on Infinite Surds already done, but there's just one part that's tripping me up:

The problem asks first for the exact value of squareroot(k+squareroot(k))... and then for a general statement which will represent all values of K for which the expression of the value of the surd is an integer (or simply my interpretation, when the number the surd converges toward is an integer).

How should I go about solving for the value of the surd? Should I set it equal to zero and then use the quadratic equation?

Also, how can I isolate integer values when writing a general statement?

Consider that since there are infinitely many root signs, removing one isn't going to change the final answer.

As far as isolating integer solutions... you can write something called a Diophantine equation, which is just a fancy word for an equation in which all variables have to be integers. Basically, if you write k in terms of x, x is an integer, so is k.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm doing the infinite surds Math SL internal assessment... (Gags) One of the requirements is that i "use the results to find the exact value for this infinite surd."

sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K........ (sqrt = square root/ surd)is the sequence, so the recursive formula is an+1=(1+an)1/2

The only "exact value" i know of for a sequence is the sum of an infinite geometric sequence, but my teacher pretty much said the general statement was meant to stay recursive. Plus, i've been doing regressions all day based on the first ten terms, and i'm fairly sure that looking for a geometric sequence is not what i'm supposed to be doing. Anyone have any ideas on what i should be doing?

• Like 1