ANU: IB vs ATAR entry scores

Aegle

I was just wondering if anyone knew what would happen at ANU when your IB score fulfils the entry requirement but your converted ATAR does not?

For example, the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law (http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4105XBARTS;overview.html) are:

Entry Requirement Entry Level ATAR 96 QLD Band 3 International Baccalaureate 37

However, the IB score of 37, when converted to a Notional ATAR, was only 95.90, just below the required ATAR score.

If your IB score is converted before you apply for university (I know this is done through VTAC in Victoria, and I'm not sure about NSW), does this potentially disadvantage you if it is just below the clearly-in?

Interesting question - I'm not really sure as to the answer myself, as the websites I have been looking up are a bit unclear. I would say that if you do IB, they should be considering your IB score as a raw mark out of 45 - as they actually list the requirement of 37 on their website! I don't actually know whether they would consider your 37 or the ATAR of 95.90 - which implies the need to get 38 to get over ATAR 96.

I guess my response would be that if you are on the margins, the numbers they give for IB/ATAR conversion and course requirements are a guide and may change - so you may or may not get in - it is ambiguous. I'm not sure about it being a disadvantage.

You should probably ask either the university, or a teacher with admissions knowledge at your school - if you do find out, I would also be interested in finding out whether they would consider your IB raw score rather than the ATAR if the IB-to-ATAR conversion doesn't quite match up to the required ATAR.

Also, IB mark is converted to an ATAR in NSW/ACT by UAC.

Edited by flinquinnster
  • Like 1

I assume that the mark they quote for IB would have to override the HSC mark. The ATAR is converted from the IB mark and has fairly large jumps between them (although not so much up at your end). I assume that they feel that it would be unfair to let you miss out for .05, which is marginal, so allow the IB cut off to be slightly lower. As the conversion wouldn't be able to get THAT close to the right score.

Linking to your last question, I would have to assume that it does , considering the jumps and the fact that one IB point is WAY more than .05 ATAR's.

Anyway I hope it works out well for you and would like to see how you go.

Also also remember you could get bonus points to take you over the mark, not sure how they work at ANU, some unis don't offer for law, but it would be worth looking into.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if they have allready provided the IB score it's pointless to convert yours into ATAR, afterall, the conversion varies between states, and sometimes quite drastically;.

I guess it's only when they say ATAR of xx or equivalent you've got to convert it, but you should always check with the university itself

• 1 month later...

I'm aiming to get into ANU as well (I'm from Sydney) for the Bachelor of Laws/International Relations course...

I'm assuming I need a 38, just to be on the safe side - though it would be great to get a 37!

Let me know what the reply is :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just wondering if anyone knew what would happen at ANU when your IB score fulfils the entry requirement but your converted ATAR does not?

For example, the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law (http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4105XBARTS;overview.html) are:

Entry Requirement Entry Level ATAR 96 QLD Band 3 International Baccalaureate 37

However, the IB score of 37, when converted to a Notional ATAR, was only 95.90, just below the required ATAR score.

If your IB score is converted before you apply for university (I know this is done through VTAC in Victoria, and I'm not sure about NSW), does this potentially disadvantage you if it is just below the clearly-in?

So are you applying to ANU for the Law course?

I have, maybe we'll run into each other there :)

College applications are now open

• Like 1