Biology Papers 1-3 (MAY08)

Mandiloquence

Hello everyone!

So, for everyone that finished taking this year's HL Bio exam, what did you think?

I am dying to know how people felt because our seniors no longer attend school (so I can't ask them :angry: ) and I'm a victim, excuse me candidate, for next year.

Overall:

How did you prepare?

What did you think of the MC paper 1?

How was the wording in paper 2, or what did you think of it in general?

Which options did you choose for paper 3?

And how do you think you did? :D

Hello everyone!

So, for everyone that finished taking this year's HL Bio exam, what did you think?

All in all, it was fine.. There were some tricky questions and some required long answers, but I guess it was fine (I keep using this word a lot.. :) )

Overall:

How did you prepare?

Had two days before, so it was great; unlike chemistry and math on the same day! :)

What did you think of the MC paper 1?

There were some easy questions that I laughed at (remember the one about bulls and cows that have horns - "only males have horns" was one of the choices :) I guess the answer to that one was that the male was heterozygous). But there were some questions that needed some attention (remember one about the locomotion of bony fish and birds, and another about transpiration - in those two the choices were somehow related, so it was risky and confusing :) )

How was the wording in paper 2, or what did you think of it in general?

It needed a lot of time to work on.. Seriously, the 2h 15 minutes were exact! There wasn't enough space in the data analysis question (in my opinion), and as some people said, the command verbs were general, so you didn't know what they had in mind. You had to write everything just to be on the safe side. :)

Which options did you choose for paper 3?

Option G: Ecology and Conservation (very nice and straightforward, although the 3D graph was blurry..)

Option H: Further Human Physiology (the data analysis question made me nuts!! When we left the exam, many of us argued over the one with the mode of transfer of Na+ ions back to the saliva from the plasma.. I wrote facilitated diffusion because of the high concentration of ions, but it seems the correct answer (says TSR and other classmates) was active transport because of the graph :) ) But the rest were fine, somehow. :)

All in all, it was fine.. There were some tricky questions and some required long answers, but I guess it was fine (I keep using this word a lot.. :) )

Had two days before, so it was great; unlike chemistry and math on the same day! :)

There were some easy questions that I laughed at (remember the one about bulls and cows that have horns - "only males have horns" was one of the choices :) I guess the answer to that one was that the male was heterozygous). But there were some questions that needed some attention (remember one about the locomotion of bony fish and birds, and another about transpiration - in those two the choices were somehow related, so it was risky and confusing :) )

It needed a lot of time to work on.. Seriously, the 2h 15 minutes were exact! There wasn't enough space in the data analysis question (in my opinion), and as some people said, the command verbs were general, so you didn't know what they had in mind. You had to write everything just to be on the safe side. :)

Option G: Ecology and Conservation (very nice and straightforward, although the 3D graph was blurry..)

Option H: Further Human Physiology (the data analysis question made me nuts!! When we left the exam, many of us argued over the one with the mode of transfer of Na+ ions back to the saliva from the plasma.. I wrote facilitated diffusion because of the high concentration of ions, but it seems the correct answer (says TSR and other classmates) was active transport because of the graph :mellow: ) But the rest were fine, somehow. :)

Wow, that actually doesn't sound too bad! *insert stunned face*

I hope on next year's test the command verbs are more specific, and I will definitely be sure to study the definitions of those well.

And I hope the Ecology and Conservation questions next year are just as nice and straightforward, since that's one of my options. :)

Did anyone do Evolution?

I didn't think Biology was that bad. Paper 1 seemed harder than the November exam we did for practice, but apparently the november was too easy b/c the grading bands for that were tight so hopefully the bands will be looser. I would suggest listening and focusing on each chapter as you go through the course NOW, b/c I noticed that it was much easier to review for the sections I had spent more time on in the first place (duh!). Also, there is a good list of revision sites on IB survival under general discussion I think that I used a lot in studying. There are typed notes of the whole Biology syllabus that are nice to study from and tons of sites on the internet that have interactive features about the body and physiology parts.

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't think Biology was that bad. Paper 1 seemed harder than the November exam we did for practice, but apparently the november was too easy b/c the grading bands for that were tight so hopefully the bands will be looser. I would suggest listening and focusing on each chapter as you go through the course NOW, b/c I noticed that it was much easier to review for the sections I had spent more time on in the first place (duh!). Also, there is a good list of revision sites on IB survival under general discussion I think that I used a lot in studying. There are typed notes of the whole Biology syllabus that are nice to study from and tons of sites on the internet that have interactive features about the body and physiology parts.

Guyton/Hall write an excellent physiology book which I am using to prepare for Option H. The clotting cascade and complement fixation are really well explained in that book.

OT: Does anyone know where to get the action words for the Bio papers?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be asking a stupid question but...on the multiple choice question, you were supposed to write in an 'x' in the boxes right? But did you write it from corner to corner of the box? Because what I did was just put an 'x' in the middle. So will the computer get it??? ^_^