How many options do you select for Paper 3 in the following subjects: HL Math, HL Bio, HL Chem

Cats

Hello,

Can someone please help me out: For Paper 3 in HL Math, HL Bio, and HL Chem, how many options do you select?

Through forums and looking at past Paper 3's, I found that you must select two options for HL Bio and HL chem, and one option for HL math.

My dilemma stems from the fact that my bio and chem teacher have both only taught one option (Evolution for bio, meds/drugs for chem).

Any recommendations as to which options are the most easy? :)

Thank you !

I don't know for Maths, but for the Sciences you choose 2 options. I do HL Biology and the options I'm doing are Ecology & Conservation and then Neurobiology & Behaviour. It depends really though... If you are good at the core Ecology unit do the Ecology option, if you are better at the Human Health unit do Neurobiology. I personally would do Ecology, as it is ALOT easier, and mainly common sense. I am considering studying for the Evolution option.

As for Chemistry, grab hold of the syllabus and have a look through the option choices, if you see one that seems easy/interesting then do that one!!

If you need any notes I would recommend having a look at the Files page on this site. I managed to find an entire revision guide on one of my Biology options- and it is amazing!! It would definitely help you, and speed up the process :)

Edited by Yahooo!

Thanks a bunch for the response and suggestions ! :)

I don't know for Maths, but for the Sciences you choose 2 options. I do HL Biology and the options I'm doing are Ecology & Conservation and then Neurobiology & Behaviour. It depends really though... If you are good at the core Ecology unit do the Ecology option, if you are better at the Human Health unit do Neurobiology. I personally would do Ecology, as it is ALOT easier, and mainly common sense. I am considering studying for the Evolution option.

As for Chemistry, grab hold of the syllabus and have a look through the option choices, if you see one that seems easy/interesting then do that one!!

If you need any notes I would recommend having a look at the Files page on this site. I managed to find an entire revision guide on one of my Biology options- and it is amazing!! It would definitely help you, and speed up the process :)

I found the extra Ecology option easy but very boring, myself. I did Neurobiology & Behaviour and Further Human Physiology. Neuro & Behaviour was pretty easy and also pretty interesting, I'd recommend it. Actually I imagine it would go with Evolution a bit, it's got a sort of behaviour natural selection element to it. Human Phys was a bit harder, unless you're really interested in that sort of thing (in which case it is interesting!) I wouldn't really recommend it.

For Chemistry Drugs & Medicines was great - although weirdly the past papers were mega easy and then the actual exam was quite unexpectedly hard! I also did Further Organic Chemistry which was DIRE. Pick any option that isn't that one and it'll be fine. I've also heard good things about Environmental Chemistry and imagine it'd be pretty interesting. Perhaps one to consider!

HL Chem and HL Bio require two options and Math HL needs one. For HL chem, since you are taking bio, I highly recommend you take the human biochemistry option. There is a ton of overlap and the content is easy and interesting. I took food chemistry which was also interesting, other potential options are drugs and medicines and microbes which was also popular in my cohort.

For biology, the further human physiology option was fascinating and if you enjoy the anatomy/physiology in biology then certainly do it. I took neurobiology as my other option which was quite fun also. I recommend both of these

For math I took series and differential equations which was veeeeeery fun. Not too difficult to get the concepts down either, highly recommend this option if you enjoy calculus and series.

For math I took series and differential equations which was veeeeeery fun. Not too difficult to get the concepts down either, highly recommend this option if you enjoy calculus and series.

Actually, I don't think this option exists anymore. Starting with the 2014 exams, it was replaced by a "Calculus" option, which is apparently less series-based.