Is it possible to switch to Standard Level from Studies in Math?

EvaC

I was looking for applying at AUC (Amsterdam University College) as it turns out you cannot major in social sciences without having taken math standard level. It's almost been a year since I started IB, do you think it is possible to change from studies to standard? It probably needs a lot of work, but could it actually happen?

Or should I try contacting the university and ask them about applying with my math studies score?

It is possible in theory but it would take a lot of advanced haggling and negotiation skills. It depends on your school's normal policies, maths teachers involved and your IB coordinator. If you're showing strong maths skills and competence in studies at the moment and this is reflected in your grades it might make your case slightly stronger. Mind you SL covers a lot of what is not covered in studies. But I've known of students who have changed subjects after the first year of IB. Just make your case that it would be in your best interest.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Fiorella

I wanted to apply there too but decided against it when I saw their math requisites T_T Math isn't my strongest subject at all which is why I just decided to stay in math studies. My math teacher also recommended me against it because well, it is certainly much more challenging and goes at a faster pace than what I'm used to. SO, it all depends on you I think. Is math a strong subject for you? Do you think you'll be willing to catch up with all the missed work AND do well? If you have convincing arguments for this, I would talk to your IB coordinator first and explain to him/her your situation. Then, I would talk to your math teacher.

Good luck! :-)