2 IB Science help ?

_naataliee

Okay so I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm doing the IB diploma next year and I've decided to do 2 sciences since Im interested in possibly going to UK unis. So I took IB Chemistry HL and IB Biology HL. So here's the problem, I can do both sciences in year 1, but not in year 2. My coordinator said that taking both sciences might not happen since both of the sciences are during the same hour and there might not be enough students signed up for it. Should I stick to 2 sciences or take IB psychology as a 6th subject ? Oh and I'm new to this site.

try ask for offline subjects----our school do offline subjects (i.e. you study it afterschool on certain days, a bit like Spanish Ab initio, which is part of School of Languages cos our school don't offer it on the curriculum), or maybe even online, if you can manage that

but if all fails, take psychology, it shouldn't be that bad considering you're doing IB Biology HL

Check the entrance requirements for universities in the UK. Whatever those entrance requirements are, you need to meet them. Sometimes they may make an exception for someone with special circumstances as to why they couldn't meet the requirement, but don't count on them doing that. Then talk to your counselors and teachers and tell them you need to be in both courses. They might arrange something for you (I know my school worked with some of our international students who wanted to go back to their home countries for university to make sure that they had all their prerequisites met in some way or another). If they absolutely will not make an exception for you, take HL chemistry (which is pretty much required everywhere), and self-study or take AP biology on the side (this can be done, I did it during IB2, as long as it doesn't conflict).

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't need to take both sciences I would not! I have both Bio and Chem HL and it is a ridiculous amount of work (I'm currently revising for exams next week... YIKES!) although if you're a science person maybe it will work out all right. But if it's needed for your university program - that's life! :D Like the others said check the requirements and then bully your coordinator into helping you get what you need. Depending what sort of school you go to you could take normal highschool biology or an online course or something. Good luck!