Should I take IB Bio HL or Ess SL

darylrocks

I made a 87 freshman year in bio not trying at all.Next year I'm taking IB eng SL IB USH HL AP Human Geo honors french 2 ap stat honors precal honors physics and I can't decide whether or not to take bio or ess. Will bio take more time/ effort? Is ess significantly easier? I will be a junior next year and how many hours of work a day am i looking at?

BIOLOGY! OBVIOUSLY! Go out there and challenge yourself! (but it's not extremely difficult, you just need to be very organized) From what I've heard ESS is a bit of a joke in our school

but then again, it depends on what you want to do. UNless you are aiming to be an environmental scientist, I encourage you to take Biology (it is actually one of the easier sciences even at HL)

I made a 87 freshman year in bio not trying at all.Next year I'm taking IB eng SL IB USH HL AP Human Geo honors french 2 ap stat honors precal honors physics and I can't decide whether or not to take bio or ess. Will bio take more time/ effort? Is ess significantly easier? I will be a junior next year and how many hours of work a day am i looking at?

Biology, many of my friends take both bio hl and ess and we can ensure you that biology is much more interesting and easier. They both require approximately the same amount of time and effort, but to some extent biology is easier because it is basically just memorisation. How many hours depends on your work ethic... I spend around 3-4 hours on bio every week

SL Biology and ESS are both more or less as easy as each other and require similar skills. A tiny bit of data interpretation and some memorisation. Really it's up to you. Possibly there's a tad more memorising in Biology but then it's more varied and interesting. ESS is a bit more wishy-washy as a subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally find ES&S easier, and I get the fun schedule of having them both, back-to-back this year! I don't struggle too much in Biology HL, but this is from someone who went through Honors Physical Science with a 99 and Honors Biology with a 97, all without trying. If I had had an 87 in Honors Biology... I probably would have tried to avoid Biology HL, even if that was my "not trying" grade.

But of course, there are differences between schools. My teacher might just be harder than the one at your school, it all depends.

I took ESS, and guess what, it's heaven! In fact i never studied for the mock exams and yet i beat it pretty easily. Butt, i took it because i'm required to do 1 more subject and there's not much option. As for biology, my friends who took that class said it's actually not that hard if you have a good memory, because most of it are just memorizing (there's a lot of it they say). So it actually depends on what u need(or what u want).

I agree.

Unlike Chemistry which you can do Words to The Same Effect, Biology pretty much relies on you remembering the EXACT wording the syllabus gave you;

IB's actually a lot of hard work...and bio is a lot of memorization. getting an 87 w/o trying as a freshman is not uncommon, if you don't try in IB HL, you won't be getting an 87 lol. IB's rubric is really precised.
can't say for ess. never took it, my school doesn't even offer it.

I take both. IB Bio HL is not hard, but it is very heavy in content. Also, harder than ESS.

ESS is the easiest out of the three sciences I take which are ESS SL, Bio HL, and Chem HL. So it depends you know.. want a challenge? go for bio i guess

Also, if you take both, they overlap. In fact all sciences in IB overlap at some point which is goood