Minimum Requirements for a 7

Hey guys,

For English, do you have to get a 7 in every single IA and exam in order to get a 7 overall?

I got a 6 for my IOP (24/30) and have the chance to have a second go to improve my mark. We did the IOP ages ago and I have so many other IAs, EE, ToK etc. that are starting to become due. Now, I could put in the work to improve my IOP (bearing in mind English is probably my weakest subject) and try to get that 7, or I could chill out a bit, reduce stress levels and focus on all the more recent IAs etc. So if my 6 will not destroy my chances at getting a 7 (keeping in mind that, realistically, the best I could get for the rest of the IAs/exams will be low 7s) I will go with the latter option, but if the 6 will stop me getting a 7 I'm willing to put in the extra work. Anyway, did any of you, or do you know someone who got a 7 in English without getting straight 7s?

Thanks in advance.

If you score highly enough in your other components it shouldn't stop you getting a 7. I can't remember what percentage of your overall grade the IOP makes up, you can find it on the syllabus. On the other hand, every little helps. If you have a chance to re-do it and can still submit your old score if you're not happy with it, I would re-do it because the higher the marks you can score in IAs, the less pressure it puts on you in the exam which is the hardest bit (exams are generally pretty stressful :P). That goes for any subject.

• Like 1

You are not actually allowed to re-do the IOP, a rule set my the IB.

Does that relate to re-doing it after you've done your final exams or before? I know you can't re-do any of your coursework if you get it re-marked, but as far as I was aware you can do as many IAs as your school will allow provided you only submit one.

I say that only because I know we did 3 IOPs at my school - two as 'practice' and then one final one. So it just seems a bit odd to me! You may well be right, but it goes against what my experience was.

At one of the workshops for English A1, first exam 2013 a handout was given to all attendees by Elizabeth Stephan, a senior examiner and workshop leader which said that the Part 4 (IOP) component of English A1 can only be done once over the two year course, and must not be redone. I have the sheet somewhere in my folder, and will dig it out later on today.