IB or College ?

Well 9/10 university and college will be more difficult. It's just a reality of moving up in your education. IBs however already work harder than their domestic education counter-parts ( at least in my school in Canada) so the shock of university academic life will not be as bad. Also, although in the US people say "college" when they talk about Ivy Leaugues and other top schools. In Canada smaller schools that focus less on theoretical learning are called colleges. These are less demanding academically and more straigh forward. It's where you learn to become a librarian, police officer, therapist or sometimes nurse. These schools for IBs tend to be a very manageable workload. Thats why I said 9/10. So sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but yes, you must rise to another challenge. So what though, life would be nothing without the good, the bad and ugly challenges in life!

Edited by Luka Petrovic

I thought that all the stress of IB would prepare me for the stress of Uni, but I was wrong. It depends what you study and where, but certainly in my first year of Uni I was no better or worse prepared for the hell which was to come than any non-IB people. I estimate that I had to learn about 4x the amount of material for my first year as I had to learn for all subjects combined in the IB including a lot of really complicated stuff.

At Uni you don't have to do CAS or homework so that's nicer. That's about the only thing XD

• Like 3

Most of my seniors who passed out of IB said that for them college life is easier as they have learnt most of the things from IB..

Generally, where have your Senior ended up? I have loads of friends in Indian medical colleges, some who did IB, other who did the CBSE and the HSC, and according to them, nothing compares to the study of Medicine. I also have some friends at NLS Bangalore and NALSAR Hydrebad studying Law, who did the IB beforehand. For them, the IB made 1st and 2nd Years easier, but that was mainly because 1st and 2nd Years of an Indian BA LLB are primarily BA-related, which is a joke for the most part. Once they got into 3rd Year, things heated up and became much, much more difficult.

IB doesn't really teach you that much...in my opinion. Some good study habits, etc. maybe, but that should be something you already possess to some extent I think.

• Like 2

I don't

Most of my seniors who passed out of IB said that for them college life is easier as they have learnt most of the things from IB..

Generally, where have your Senior ended up? I have loads of friends in Indian medical colleges, some who did IB, other who did the CBSE and the HSC, and according to them, nothing compares to the study of Medicine. I also have some friends at NLS Bangalore and NALSAR Hydrebad studying Law, who did the IB beforehand. For them, the IB made 1st and 2nd Years easier, but that was mainly because 1st and 2nd Years of an Indian BA LLB are primarily BA-related, which is a joke for the most part. Once they got into 3rd Year, things heated up and became much, much more difficult.

IB doesn't really teach you that much...in my opinion. Some good study habits, etc. maybe, but that should be something you already possess to some extent I think.

I dont know much about my seniors, but most of them said that they are finding portions much more easier than their non IB counterparts. When one senior said to me that university is bit tough for him.

I thought that all the stress of IB would prepare me for the stress of Uni, but I was wrong. It depends what you study and where, but certainly in my first year of Uni I was no better or worse prepared for the hell which was to come than any non-IB people. I estimate that I had to learn about 4x the amount of material for my first year as I had to learn for all subjects combined in the IB including a lot of really complicated stuff.

At Uni you don't have to do CAS or homework so that's nicer. That's about the only thing XD

So for univ are there any IA;s , HW's and practicals?

So for univ are there any IA;s , HW's and practicals?

It depends on what course you're doing and how your university structures it. In my course for example, law, there is no homework, no internal assessments (barring a few optional subjects) and no practicals. We get weekly readings and the university expects you to be responsible and mature enough to do your work and come prepared to class. Results based 100% on final exams. Other universities (particularly in the US) do things differently and put more emphasis on class attendance and coursework during the year.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1

Is there any difference between colleges and universities. I heard that university is tough.

Specifically in the US, 'colleges' refer to higher education that solely focus on undergraduate students, so no professors will be teaching at the graduate level. 'Universities' refers to graduate level teaching. However, 'college' can be a general term for both types in everyday conversation.