'HL only' and 'SL only' option units for Bio and Chem

Cats

Hi everyone,

I am having some confusion with the selection of Option Units for HL Bio and HL Chem.

According to the 'Biology for the IB Diploma' textbook (by C.J. Clegg), there are such things as 'HL only', 'SL only' and 'SL and HL' Option units. However, when looking at my Pearson Baccalaureate textbook for HL Chemistry, there does not appear to be any categorizations of the options unit.

My question is: As an HL student, am I not allowed to write these so-called 'SL only' Options?

For instance, I wanted to do Human Nutrition (Option A) and Evolution (Option D) for Bio. According to the Clegg textbook, Option A is 'SL only' and Option D is 'both'. Am I not allowed to do Option A?

Thank you in advance to any responses!

In Chemistry, there is no such division, there's just a bit of extension for HL students on each option. You can check it in the syllabus, both for chem and bio. Syllabi are free to download from the General IB Download section in Files and Notes. :)

• Like 1