My EE

chileanbob

I was just curious because my IB teachers suggested to start my EE over the summer to have it completed by my senior by this august. So... I wanted to know if there are any specific rules or regulations, or can i just start writing in one of the 6 topics [say, history (group 3)?]. Also, what is the minimum word count, because I know the MAXIMUM is 4000.

Any and all information/suggestions regarding the EE will be appreciated. Thanks.

=]

They say it's best for you to write an EE on a subject you're taking to ensure a higher mark.

As for the minimum... my EE was only 3745 words and I'm praying I won't lose marks for that.

But many people have told me that it was a fine... just as long as it wasn't less than 3000-3500.

Do your EE in a subject that interests you, because it's going to take a lot of research.

I'm not taking history, but I did my EE in history anyway because I really enjoy the subject and I got predicted an A on it.

There is no minimum, but for the languages and history, you should be pushing the word limit (probably around 3800-4000 words..mine was around 3850). If you do math/sciences, then you'll have charts and diagrams, so it's okay if your EE is only around 3000.

I'm thinking of doing my EE on history as well, I've heard it's one of the better subjects to do an EE on (although don't take my word for it because I haven't asked that many past IB students what they did their EE on!). I agree, I reckon it would be easier because there is so much information available.

But anyway I think that it should be safe to do a history EE, good luck :)

Do your EE in a subject that interests you, because it's going to take a lot of research.

I'm not taking history, but I did my EE in history anyway because I really enjoy the subject and I got predicted an A on it.

There is no minimum, but for the languages and history, you should be pushing the word limit (probably around 3800-4000 words..mine was around 3850). If you do math/sciences, then you'll have charts and diagrams, so it's okay if your EE is only around 3000.

Oh, why didn't I do that too?! ... I mean, I'm not taking history but would have loved to do a historical EE, historical essays are easy to write and interesting as hell. Damn.

I don't see how people think that History EE's are 'easy to write'. The amount of references and footnotes in my friend's EE for history was insane. I did mine in Danish B and had about 3 references. So if you mean by writing that actually just typing up other people's ideas is easy, then yes, I agree. But polishing it and referencing properly is certainly not easy.

I'm doing my extended essay in history looking at the Boer Wars in South Africa. In my opinion, the hardest thing about doing a history extended essay is finding a wide range of reputable primary and secondary sources, especially if you're doing a bit of an odd topic. Talking about topics ... my supervisor mentioned that the more odd the topic, the better the IB likes it. They're sick of seeing overdone topics such as China, European history, the Cold War etc. Good luck!

Meh, it's not that hard to reference things.

And it's not hard to research if you find your subject interesting.

Yea, if you are interested in something, you should do it because it saves the time and you will actually enjoy doing it.

But the hard part is the wording and organization of your ideas along with the available equipments, and also you will have to comply all of that with your summer schedules... :D

anyone got tips on how to give a accurate proposal? My is due soon and I am interested in Biology.

Thanks