Creativity: Learning a language. Is this possible?

Guest syrianstar
Wow! Then I'm sooo doing that! :)

WOW! I would love to learn a new language AND get CAS hours :mellow:

The problem is that we've asked our IB / CAS coordinators whether or not you are allowed to learn a language / instrument / sport to obtain CAS hours and they said no........you have to be teaching it to others otherwise it won't be counted as a CAS activity :)

WOW! I would love to learn a new language AND get CAS hours :)

The problem is that we've asked our IB / CAS coordinators whether or not you are allowed to learn a language / instrument / sport to obtain CAS hours and they said no........you have to be teaching it to others otherwise it won't be counted as a CAS activity :mellow:

It is odd how different CAS coordinators interpret the CAS regulations differently.. The coordinator we had before would not allow any activities that did not involve all three CAS aspects, i.e. creativity, action AND service. Another thing that seem to be a bit fuzzy is the rule that you cannot earn something financial yourself from the CAS activities you perform, this rule was kind of ignored at my school... and that pisses me off.

It is odd how different CAS coordinators interpret the CAS regulations differently.. The coordinator we had before would not allow any activities that did not involve all three CAS aspects, i.e. creativity, action AND service. Another thing that seem to be a bit fuzzy is the rule that you cannot earn something financial yourself from the CAS activities you perform, this rule was kind of ignored at my school... and that pisses me off.

Yeah, our teacher's told us that if we're doing music, we can't play an instrument for Cas; if we're taking art, we're not allowed to do sketching lessons for Cas etc. But I've never heard that you need an activity that incorporates all three... *scratches head*

And yeah- ^AGREED. What is the point of doing service if you're getting paid for it?!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I know someone who is doing this. I think it took a while to convince our college that it was a good idea, but he's really good at languages and takes French and German already, picked up Spanish as a CAS one. Careful though with CAS- don't always trust your Inner Hexagon co-ordinator, if you are unsure, check it out by emailing the IBO. They've proven very helpful with people I know :) Could always keep a copy of the email as evidence- that way nobody can question it!

• Like 1

WOW! I would love to learn a new language AND get CAS hours :)

The problem is that we've asked our IB / CAS coordinators whether or not you are allowed to learn a language / instrument / sport to obtain CAS hours and they said no........you have to be teaching it to others otherwise it won't be counted as a CAS activity :)

Thats really not true, learning a language or instrument counts as creativity hours. Teaching it would be Service. Email the IBO instead :)

Guest syrianstar
Thats really not true, learning a language or instrument counts as creativity hours. Teaching it would be Service. Email the IBO instead :)

I will hopefully if I ever get the time!! :)

I think our schoool is being extra strict on simple things like CAS activities / hours mainly because its the first year they ever offer the IB Diploma and they want to have a perfect record to show the IBO that they are capable of handling everything. Hence things like going to the gym or learning a language or a new skill is not counted as CAS ( I know other schools here get hours for going to the gym!) unless you're teaching it, as a form of service.

meh :)

Edited by syrianstar

Yes it's possible to do it. I learned some italian and got about... meh idk how many hours, but plenty enough. the thing is, i hate when cas coordinators do it so much more difficult for students. i mean, if the ibo allows it, why the hell do they restrict it? thats just stupid and makes it a lot harder!

... if you are unsure, check it out by emailing the IBO. They've proven very helpful with people I know :) Could always keep a copy of the email as evidence- that way nobody can question it!

omg you can email them?

i didnt know that!

care to explain how?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend and me both really want to learn sign language for Creativity, but my coordinator says he is not sure he will allow it, because he says that learning languages does not involve creative THINKING (well, does playing a music instrument involve creative thinking? its just playing music from a piece of paper right?)

so I was wondering if any one could help me how to convince him, anyone having any brilliant arguments on why you should be allowed? (apart from the obvious, that it IS creative). (Its self-taught but my school usually doesn't have any objections to that, and there is a teacher in school who knows sign language who could supervise, just in case anyone was wondering abou that... :D )

Edited by IBKatte

• 1 month later...