foreign language

Lan

hey guys, my high school is just enrolled in IB, and there's a lots of confusions. the teachers that are in charged don't know what they are doing. so i have a question, do you need at least 4 years of the same language to get the diploma in united sates? i asked my Ib teachers and none of them know! please...and thank you for your great help!

There are [i]ab initio[/i] courses for absolute beginners. So no, you actually can get the diploma with a second language spoken for less than 4 years. However, language B courses would probably require more familiarity, so maybe 4 years is the recommended minimum time. Although I haven't heard of such a rule until now.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

Guest Lily Bean

There are 2 types of second language.

Language Ab initio - for total beginners, if you take a language ab initio you don't have to have done the language before so by the end of IB you'd only have done it for 2 years

Language B in theory is for people who have studied a language before as a second language but are not fluent at it but honestly as long as you past the exam in the end, they really don't care how long you studied the language before IB. some people start as beginner in Language B and manage to scrape 4 and 5.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='deissi' post='17314' date='May 27 2008, 03:57 PM']There's also A2, which is intended for bilingual candidates, who speak the A2 language at a very high level, almost as high as their A1 language. Unlike ab initio or B, it's a literary course and resembles A1.[/quote]

Yea it is two, i think they might be confused because they arent counting the English course as a language. My teachers had the same problem.

I believe it depends on where you live. In florida, you have to have 4 years of either french/spanish and 4 years of english.