Mathematics: Eurovision vs. Golden Ratio

yodude888

Hey guys. I'm in first year of IB, wanting to do my EE in maths. I'm happy to see on this forum that I'm not the only one! I have two ideas, and I'd appreciate some input as to which you think will work the best:
1) Does the Golden Ratio appear as often as is commonly believed (or something along those lines.) It would involve giving 100 line segments, and asking different people to divide them... then seeing how this ratio approached the golden ratio. I would then take that ratio, the golden ration, and two arbitrary ratios and would attempt to find them in the measurements of people's bodies and famous works of art, to see if golden ratio does actually appear more often.

2) Analysis of the link between Eurovision voting results and pre-determined factors. ... This is a bit more of a wild one I guess. I want to take into account factors such as number of bordering countries, migrant populations in countries etc. to determine who votes for who... and ultimately try and predict the lineup of this year's Eurovision based solely on those factors (without taking into account the talent of the actual band.) That way I could compare it to the actual results of Saturday's competition and see how close I got.

Which one do you guys think would make a better EE topic in maths? I understand that the maths itself does not need to be incredibly difficult. If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it!

Cheers, CJ

Hm well the ones that people have got As on in the recent past of our school are... "An analysis on whether it is easier to pot a ball on a snooker table or a billiard table" and "how the change in point system in the Premier League affects the way a team must play football"... so it seems the applied stuff works fine.

[quote name='Scade' post='17204' date='May 26 2008, 12:21 AM']On which math level are you doing it? I was thinking in terms of Math Hl, and the math EEs from our school that have been awarded an A were both rather theoretical (at least one of them can be found from here too, the one on knots).[/quote]

Hm that's weird, I'm doing maths HL, and so were all those who did the applied ones too. I will ask around the maths teachers in my school and see what they say.

Scade, there is only one level of Math EE, a Math EE is an EE in Group 5. It's treated the same regardless of your level of Math. Applied ones should be ok, but you have to be very careful about the topic and sticking to only math, I wouldn't exactly recommend it unless you have a good supervisor.