Psychology Answers and questions for IB may exam 2013 :D

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

Hey guys :D

This is for any last minute psychology doubts, that you guys have can all be openly discussed here :D Any predictions or question discussion (as in doubts) can also be done here.

(my option is health psychology)

-----> any1 has the psychology specimen paper?

Edited by ziasha

Hello!

Here's the specimen paper: http://haileyburypsychology.edublogs.org/files/2012/05/Pscyh-spec-papers-2011-19a1quz.pdf

I think there's a chance that effects of the environment on physiological processes (e.g. neuroplasticity) could come up for BLOA (SAQ perhaps) - hasn't appeared at all yet I think! And maybe perhaps ethical considerations related to research studies (BLOA again) for the very same reason... hmm!

• Like 1

Oh thanks :D

Woah, i reallllyy wish conformity comes from Sociocultural LOA

From Cognitive i wish schema theory comes :D

From biological ~ hormones :D

ahha BUT THIS IS MY WISH :D

Hey sofia just have a look at the specimen paper above :D you'll get your answer (there's a marks scheme).

And no questions aren't vague ... they're very direct :D

and this is our predictions ... :D

Edited by ziasha

Any idea what the questions in November 2012 were? I was making a tick-list of past questions that have been used before but I'm missing the ones from Nov12' :dontgetit:

I REALLY wish the ones you posted appear, but then again they've been ones that have been used before... hard for hormones or schema to come up cuz its been used for two years already! Still, can't help wishing they'd appear! :phone:

Oh wow :D but the syllabus changed right like last year or so :D so won't the checklist be smaller :D i guess it won't help cause i noticed that they repeated the questions .. :D

• Like 1

Oh wow :D but the syllabus changed right like last year or so :D so won't the checklist be smaller :D i guess it won't help cause i noticed that they repeated the questions .. :D

It changed in 2010, so from 2011 onwards there are exams based on it I think.

Wanna share the checklist maybe @Megarozero? ;D Although yeah, they like to repeat them so it doesn't matter that much.

i agree.. its the learning outcomes :D but for 8 marks and 22 marks they have to choose witty questions :D I WANT CONFORMITY TO COME :D

and yes please do share the checklist :D

Okay, the ones that have never appeared before (up to May 12', because I don't have Nov 12' as I said):

BLOA:

- Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the biological level of analysis

- Discuss two effects of the environment on physiological processes

CLOA:

- Explain how biological factors may affect one cognitive process
- To what extent do cognitive and biological factors interact in emotion

SLOA:
- Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the sociocultural level of analysis
- Describe the role of situational and dispositional factors in explaining behaviour

- Define the terms "culture" and "cultural norms"

- Using one or more examples, explain "emic" and "etic" concepts

And if anyone wants to check, here's the past questions:

SAQs

SPEC/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ0/XX

1. Explain how one study demonstrates localization of function in the brain.

2. Outline two principles that define the cognitive level of analysis.

3. Explain one compliance technique.

M11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ1/XX

1. Explain how one hormone influences human behaviour.

2. Describe one research study which has investigated schema theory.

3. Outline two errors in attribution.

M11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ2/XX

1. Explain how one hormone influences human behaviour

2. Outline one theory of how emotion may affect one cognitive process.

3. Describe one theory or study on the formation of stereotypes.

N11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ0/XX

1. Explain how one or more neurotransmitters affect human behaviour.

2. Outline two principles that define the cognitive level of analysis.

3. Describe one study relevant to social learning theory

M12/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ1/XX

1. Describe one principle that defines the biological level of analysis.

2. Describe one ethical consideration related to one research study at the cognitive level of analysis.

3. Explain why one particular research method has been used at the sociocultural level of analysis

M12/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ2/XX

1. Describe one study related to localization of function in the brain.

2. Describe one ethical consideration related to one research study at the cognitive level of analysis.

3. Outline how one principle that defines the sociocultural level of analysis has been demonstrated in one example of research (theory or study)

Essays

SPEC/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ0/XX

4. To what extent does genetic inheritance influence behaviour? Use relevant research studies in your response.

5. Discuss the use of one research method (e.g. experiments, case studies) in the cognitive level of analysis. Use relevant research studies in your response.

6. Evaluate the role that one cultural dimension (e.g. individualism/collectivism, power distance) may have on behaviour.

M11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ1/XX

4. Discuss ethical considerations related to research conducted into genetic influences on behaviour.

5. To what extent do social or cultural factors affect one cognitive process?

6. Discuss factors influencing conformity.

M11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ2/XX

4. Discuss the use of brain imaging technologies to investigate the relationship between biological factors and behaviour.

5. To what extent is one cognitive process reliable?

6. Discuss factors influencing conformity.

N11/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ0/XX

4. Discuss how and why particular research methods are used at the biological level of analysis, with reference to one or more studies.

5. Outline schema theory. Evaluate schema theory with reference to studies.

6. Evaluate social identity theory with reference to relevant studies.

M12/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ1/XX

4. Discuss one evolutionary explanation of one behaviour.

5. Evaluate two models or theories of one cognitive process.

6. Discuss the use of two compliance techniques.

M12/3/PSYCH/BP1/ENG/TZ2/XX

4. Discuss one example of how cognition and physiology interact to affect behaviour.

5. Discuss the use of technology in investigating one cognitive process.

6. Evaluate research (theories and/or studies) on conformity.

Edited by megarozero
  • Like 5

For N12

SAQ

1.Explain how one principle of the biological level of analysis may be demonstrated in
one empirical study or theory.
2. Explain how one biological factor may affect one cognitive process.
3. Distinguish between the concepts of “emic” and “etic”.
LAQ
4. With reference to psychological research (theories and/or studies), to what extent does
genetic inheritance influence behaviour?
5. With reference to relevant studies, discuss how and why two particular research
methods (for example, experiments, case studies, interviews, observations) are used at
the cognitive level of analysis.
6. Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the sociocultural level
of analysis.
;)
But be careful about 'it's never been used so it must be used this year' ;).
  • Like 2

CLOA:

how can you answer these?

OK so I'm just revising CLOA and I'm so happy cause really if you are to use it only for short answers you either use Bartlett or something from biological :D. Plus several others, but if Im not able to revise it well at least I won't get 0 marks :D.

a) you can use HM, obviously due to the surgery he had problems with memory; and Newcomer et al. 1999 influence of cortisol on memory

b) i'm not there yet but for sure Schachter and Singer two factor theory of emotion

Edited by lilianna009

CLOA:

how can you answer these?

Hi :D

The first question is pretty easy just certain points to remember :

1) its about the role of hippocampus (Karl lashley: his incisions in the rats to make the forget a way of the maze, failed proving memory can't be localized)

2) Hippocampus is involved in forming, sorting and storing memory

3) talk about the 2 case studies of Clive and HM :D

4) as lab experiments were also conducted you can prove the role of hippocampus by zola morgans experiment on monkeys (where they fail the task called delayed nonmatching to sample)

5) Evaluate your answer about how clives anonymity wasn't kept and how experiment on animals psychologically harm them (ethical considerations)

The second question

it is clearly the scharters Two factory theory :D

Schacter ( 1964) was the first theorist to bring together the two elements of physiological arousal and cognition. It is sometimes known as the two-factor theory of emotion. For an emotion to be experienced, a physiological state of arousal is necessary AND situational factors will then determine how we interpret this arousal. In other words, an event causes physiological arousal first. You must then identify a reason for this arousal and then you are able to experience and label the emotion. The strength of physiological arousal will determine the strength of emotion experienced, while the situation will determine the type of emotion. These two factors are independent of each other BUT both are necessary for the emotion to be experienced.

A classic study by Schacter & Singer ( 1962) supports these ideas. Their study tested the theory that an emotion is made up of cognitive appraisal (labelling the emotion) and physiological arousal (adrenaline and the physical changes it produces). They gave 3 groups of participants an adrenaline injection (epinephrine) and 1 group a placebo, and then put them into situations designed to create an emotional response of anger or happiness. Some participants were misled or given no information and the researchers predicted that they would blame their physical state on the situation, therefore reporting higher levels of emotion. Other participants were told the effects of the injection and so would not blame the situation as they already knew why they felt that way. The results were as predicted, indicating that if someone feels physiologically aroused and doesn't know why they will look at their situation in order to label their emotion.

Schacter & Singer concluded that a stimulus triggers a physiological response and at the same time the stimulus is interpreted in the brain taking into account previous experiences of similar situations. The brain produces the actual emotion that the person experiences, through cognitive factors, and the ANS produces the degree to which that emotion is felt. So emotion is an interaction of both cognitive and physiological factors

This was a well-controlled study with several conditions. However the sample was not representative (all male) and males may have different emotional reactions to females. It is ethically questionable to both inject participants with substances and it may be distressing to induce anger.

• Like 1