A Major Problem.

Hello there,

I am in a fix because of my stupid decision of selecting my subjects.

My old subject combination was

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

In the beginning of the year I was already confused whether I should take science or commerce stream. ( Just because I got 90 + in science in my 10 th grade I thought that science gonna be a easy. But later I realized its difficulty and changed by subject combination in the end of the year.

Present subjects Predicted Grades

Physics Hl The MAIN PROBLEM

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

Well even If I get good marks in all these subjects I am still very afraid of Physics. Although I want to do management or economics, My main question to you all is will they see my Physics marks ( 4) and then give me the admission or will they just look at my commerce subjects.

Thanks for sparring your time.

From what I understand of universities' application processes (assuming you're not applying in India, because I know for a fact that in India, most admissions are granted based on entrance exams), they will look at your grades in the course you're applying for (speaking of which, do you have 4 SLs, or is Business an HL for you?), and then your total IB points.

While you seem to have the grades for your commerce streams, your physics grade is bringing your total down, but I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're sure you don't want science, and are sure you'll pass it.

Again, if you're applying to IIM, and other Indian institutions, the equivalence of your subjects to the Indian board will be taken into account (which you're doing okay for, I think) and then, there's those godforsaken entrance exams to give. *makes a face*

Good luck! :)

Edited by Smita
  • Like 1

Are you planning to apply for university abroad or in India?

In India, it really comes down to your total IB score so a 4 in Physics HL will be problematic, I would assume. The Indian universities only care about individual subject choices when you are applying for specific courses such as Medicine, for which you will compulsorily need Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths at HL. For BCom, you just need a high IB score. At least, that is what my sister went through when she applied with IB scores to the University of Mumbai for a BMM.

If you plan on applying to the UK, it would make things a little more complicated. For starters, a lot of the top universities would be closed off to you because a minimum of a 6 is required in all your Higher Level subjects.

For the US, it won't be too problematic. But again it depends on which tier of universities you are looking at.

• Like 3

Well my plan is like this. If I get very good marks ( if I get 5 only in Physics) my plan is to do under grad in US. Otherwise I will complete my undergrad in India and then I would do PG in US. ( Just if I could conquer Physics all these problems would be solved.) The weak point of me is that I am very restless and I cannot concentrate on Physics for more than 1 hour. Then I jump to other subjects and like that I ignore Physics completely.

Well my plan is like this. If I get very good marks ( if I get 5 only in Physics) my plan is to do under grad in US. Otherwise I will complete my undergrad in India and then I would do PG in US. ( Just if I could conquer Physics all these problems would be solved.) The weak point of me is that I am very restless and I cannot concentrate on Physics for more than 1 hour. Then I jump to other subjects and like that I ignore Physics completely.

Again, it depends on which level of universities you want to apply to in America. Obviously universities like Harvard, Yale, etc. would not look too kindly on a 4 in Physics HL. Somewhat lower tier schools would be more lenient.

Also, as you know, with the Indian system, a lot of things make a difference when it comes to commerce degrees. Which colleges are you looking at? I'm assuming "Jishnu" is a Gujarathi name? (I could be wrong...) You might want to consider getting in somewhere with Gujarathi quota, or cultural quota (if you have strong ECs) or Sports quota (if you have Sports achievements). That would help your application a great deal.

Edited by Arrowhead

Again, it depends on which level of universities you want to apply to in America. Obviously universities like Harvard, Yale, etc. would not look too kindly on a 4 in Physics HL. Somewhat lower tier schools would be more lenient.

Also, as you know, with the Indian system, a lot of things make a difference when it comes to commerce degrees. Which colleges are you looking at? I'm assuming "Jishnu" is a Gujarathi name? (I could be wrong...) You might want to consider getting in somewhere with Gujarathi quota, or cultural quota (if you have strong ECs) or Sports quota (if you have Sports achievements). That would help your application a great deal.

Jishnu is not a Gujarati name :D but it is my uncle's name. I am a south Indian and I don't have any surname. I don't like to depend on quotas just because I get low marks in Physics. I am not a sports guy but I into robotics ( I have got certificate of merit for robotics from both IIT B and IIT Roorkyee but it won't help me in commerce. I prefer US.)

Edited by akash jishnu

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

In the beginning of the year I was already confused whether I should take science or commerce stream. ( Just because I got 90 + in science in my 10 th grade I thought that science gonna be a easy. But later I realized its difficulty and changed by subject combination in the end of the year.

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

Well even If I get good marks in all these subjects I am still very afraid of Physics. Although I want to do management or economics, My main question to you all is will they see my Physics marks ( 4) and then give me the admission or will they just look at my commerce subjects.

I have the exact same subjects as you had originally decided :/

Although I speak hindi at home, I'd say im freaking out about it as our teacher has never taught IB Hindi before and is literally the only teacher in Adelaide D:

Do you know what can be done?

Also, while they will originally look at your overall score, and what you got for each subject, I do think that they will give your commerce subjects more importance.

I want to go into Science or Engineering, but I am having troubles with everything! Hindi is already a problem, I don't even have any past exam paper (nor does the teacher) to see what might come, and Physics and Chem as going OKAY but maths is really stressful.

I can not drop down to SL maths either... if I do, then I won't be meeting prerequisites at the unis here.

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

Although I speak hindi at home, I'd say im freaking out about it as our teacher has never taught IB Hindi before and is literally the only teacher in Adelaide D:

Also, while they will originally look at your overall score, and what you got for each subject, I do think that they will give your commerce subjects more importance.

I want to go into Science or Engineering, but I am having troubles with everything! Hindi is already a problem, I don't even have any past exam paper (nor does the teacher) to see what might come, and Physics and Chem as going OKAY but maths is really stressful.

I can not drop down to SL maths either... if I do, then I won't be meeting prerequisites at the unis here.

I think in Australia they only look at your final IB grades, which generally convert to very high ATARs. I don't think you'll have too much of an issue. If your applying to Australia Akash, even 31 can get you into decent commerce courses at good unis. Google it. I don't think you're screwed.

• Like 1

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

I think in Australia they only look at your final IB grades, which generally convert to very high ATARs. I don't think you'll have too much of an issue. If your applying to Australia Akash, even 31 can get you into decent commerce courses at good unis. Google it. I don't think you're screwed.

Thanks, but Australia as I read from newspaper, racism is prevailing there and Indians are targeted. Otherwise I would be happy to go anywhere except India ( it is nice to get some exposure and go to the best univs in the world) and my target is US, Germany, Singapore or India ( if Physics betrays me then). Thanks for helping me :)

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

Thanks, but Australia as I read from newspaper, racism is prevailing there and Indians are targeted. Otherwise I would be happy to go anywhere except India ( it is nice to get some exposure and go to the best univs in the world) and my target is US, Germany, Singapore or India ( if Physics betrays me then). Thanks for helping me :)

Legit NO ONE i mean NO ONE has every done anything racist to me- I go to an Australian school with 90% white people. In fact, I guess I'm perhaps the most racist one there. Even in Australia, Indians and Asians in general are considered the smart ones. It's actually really funny how everyone believes every single thing I say...we are respected people!

My uncles have never faced any racism or anyone I know. These are generalisations. It's more difficult to get into an Indian uni because of all the competition than an Australian one any day.

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

Legit NO ONE i mean NO ONE has every done anything racist to me- I go to an Australian school with 90% white people. In fact, I guess I'm perhaps the most racist one there. Even in Australia, Indians and Asians in general are considered the smart ones. It's actually really funny how everyone believes every single thing I say...we are respected people!

My uncles have never faced any racism or anyone I know. These are generalisations. It's more difficult to get into an Indian uni because of all the competition than an Australian one any day.

You are living near Perth? Because honestly I read all this from newspaper but you know the best since you were living there.

Edited by akash jishnu

As far as Germany goes, it depends on which uni you want to go to and on what you want to study. Not all of them offer bachelor's degree programmes in English.

Hello there,

Physics HL

Math HL:

Chem HL

Econ SL

Eng SL

Hindi SL

Hindi HL 6-7

English 6

Business I expect 7

Math 5-6

Econ 6-7

You are living near Perth? Because honestly I read all this from newspaper but you know the best since you were living there.

Sydney - 4 years

Karratha (Western Australia, 2 hours from Perth) - 2 years

Perth - 1/2 years

Australian School Singapore - 4/5 years

I went to a British school in Qatar

In all the Indian Newspapers, they make you wanna hate Australia, it legit isn't that bad at all. You are all treated as equal, if people look down at you, you look down at them even more- that's my thing. In fact the most racism I've ever got from an Australian is from a South Indian friend who thinks I should be fat coz I'm Punjabi. Perhaps many people have been the victim of racism, but I think those are the minority. If you get an opportunity to study in Australia, take it with both hands.

Edited by cricketcrazynerd
  • Like 1

Just to let you know, that while they only look at your final IB score out of 45 in Australia and the conversion isnt bad, it doesnt mean i can freak out!

Do any of you doing Hindi, have any past exam papers that you wouldnt mind sharing with me? Im doing Hindi B, SL.

I did get some, from 2005 so we could swap if you want :)

Edited by IBfreakingout!

Just looked at this thread.

Getting into a top university in your chosen course is important. There's no use slaving away for two years to go somewhere average. So no matter where you're going, your HLs have to at last 6 6 6. Forget the entrance exams for India, SATs, etc. If you're looking for a top university, a high IB score with minimum HL 6 6 6 is crucial. You've got another YEAR to your exams, and there is no subject in IB that is impossible to attain at least a 6 in with some effort put in.

Everyone will tell you "Oh you got 35? It's okay, US only looks at SATs anyway" or "Don't worry, IIT only looks at the IIT - JEE".

This is not true. Yes, entrance exams and SATs form a large part of your application to US and India, BUT to the best universities, it has to be in conjunction with a high IB score. Otherwise you're just shortchanging yourself.

• Like 2

Just to let you know, that while they only look at your final IB score out of 45 in Australia and the conversion isnt bad, it doesnt mean i can freak out!

Do any of you doing Hindi, have any past exam papers that you wouldnt mind sharing with me? Im doing Hindi B, SL.

Everyone is pretty calm, even the IB teachers, about our group getting into the unis of our choice in Australia because of this factor. In fact most people are quite chilled out and aiming for 33+ coz they feel ATAR scores would be quite easy to obtain. Don't know, I personally still am kinda very nervous anyways :)

I think you mean to say "it doesn't mean I CANNOT freak out"- it would make more sense :)

Google free exam papers- there are hindi B papers for 2005, 2006, 2007

If you're so desperate, try torrents, you always get past IB stuff there!

Just looked at this thread.

Getting into a top university in your chosen course is important. There's no use slaving away for two years to go somewhere average. So no matter where you're going, your HLs have to at last 6 6 6. Forget the entrance exams for India, SATs, etc. If you're looking for a top university, a high IB score with minimum HL 6 6 6 is crucial. You've got another YEAR to your exams, and there is no subject in IB that is impossible to attain at least a 6 in with some effort put in.

Everyone will tell you "Oh you got 35? It's okay, US only looks at SATs anyway" or "Don't worry, IIT only looks at the IIT - JEE".

This is not true. Yes, entrance exams and SATs form a large part of your application to US and India, BUT to the best universities, it has to be in conjunction with a high IB score. Otherwise you're just shortchanging yourself.

Exactly, the best universities, even in USA take the IB scores into much consideration. In my latest career meeting thing (seriously we depressingly have careers meeting every fortnight *not fun*) the teacher was talking about how lots of Indian universities (not sure which ones though) are also starting to take the IB diploma seriously. Do a bit of research, if India's your last option, with your predicted scores, I still think you can get into a uni of ur choice

Everyone is pretty calm, even the IB teachers, about our group getting into the unis of our choice in Australia because of this factor. In fact most people are quite chilled out and aiming for 33+ coz they feel ATAR scores would be quite easy to obtain. Don't know, I personally still am kinda very nervous anyways :)

I think you mean to say "it doesn't mean I CANNOT freak out"- it would make more sense :)

Google free exam papers- there are hindi B papers for 2005, 2006, 2007

If you're so desperate, try torrents, you always get past IB stuff there!

I thought that the syllabus of Hindi has completely changed and so there won't be a question paper.