Theatre RI research question

epaps7

I am currently doing my Research Investigation and I need some help in refining my research question. My topic is on the use of mask in Noh theatre and my current question is something along the lines of this:

"How does the use of mask inform the development of a character in a traditional Noh performance of <insert play here>?"

Should I be more specific and choose a character or two to focus on how mask is relevant to their characterisation? Is this topic achievable or am I getting off track from the aim of the RI?

Yes, you will definitely need to choose a specific character to analyze in the play, because your current question is not specific enough at all. When I did my practice RI in year one of theatre arts hl, my question was similar: I looked at how the costuming and masks of the characters of a commedia play would inform their characters. Needless to say I got all bogged up in too broad of a question. I would steer clear of anything vague if I were you. However, that should be all you really need to narrow your question. It sounds very interesting!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have to do my RI over the summer and I need a topic by tomorrow, but I'm not exactly sure about my question. I'm doing Noh theatre as well, but I want to look at staging. Thing is, from what I can tell staging is all the same in Noh theatre, so how would I make my RI specific to a play? Hopefully you guys see this soon!

Thanks a bunch :turned: