The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

OUTLANDISH [i guess you mean the Danish group... XD ] is absolutely lovely, I love their voices and as you say, the songs actually deal with something of value XD [Not that love is not, but you know what I mean...]

yeah lol, whats your favorite song of theirs?

• 3 weeks later...
Music can help while studying but i still believe music without words is better for when your studying ^_^

I agree! Wordless music or mellow music is good for me--i.e. Enya or Coldplay. Sometimes Norah Jones.

But what tends to happen to me when I listen to my regular collection is that I get caught up in the song and start singing or dancing or lip-synching. It can be veryyyy distracting.

I personally enjoy classical, video game, post-hardcore, alternative, indie/electronica and probably things that are labelled as "emo". My favourite bands are Thursday, Rise Against, Chiodos, The Mars Volta, Billy Talent and a lot more. :) I like listening to music while I'm just surfing the net/chatting, but I usually find that I get distracted with it playing when I'm attempting to do homework.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dragonb111
Music can help while studying but i still believe music without words is better for when your studying :)

I completely agree. I can't concentrate at all when I'm listening to music with words.

I agree! Wordless music or mellow music is good for me--i.e. Enya or Coldplay. Sometimes Norah Jones.

But what tends to happen to me when I listen to my regular collection is that I get caught up in the song and start singing or dancing or lip-synching. It can be veryyyy distracting.

definitely. The exact same thing happens to me every stinkin time. It gets very annoying. Especially when you're studying for an exam or something important.

ooh..i love coldplay....and music does help me in not letting me fall asleep quite soon while studying..
The new Coldplay album is 46 minutes of winwinwin.

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to their concert this November :D LOVE THEM.

I'm into all sorts of music. Indian, Brazilian, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin, American. Love it all.

As a good Texan (?) I love country music too.

The only genre I CANNOT stand is smooth jazz. That simply annoys me.

the bands I play the most are: Coldplay, Keith Urban, Blue October, Brad Paisley, Bryan Adams, The Who, Timbaland, Lifehouse, Rihanna, U2, Bon Jovi, Spoon, The Shins, Old 97's.......... just to name a few.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have two types of music:

a) what I call my regular music, which I listen to all the time, such as U2, Simple Plan, Coldplay, Brazilian Music... etc

b) what I call study music, which is basically classical or jazz

Many people have asked my why I listen to classical music (most of my friends can't stand it)... and I tell them that as much as I like my "normal music", I can't concentrate on my studying whenever there are words on a song because then I start paying attention to the lyrics and not to what I'm supposed to be studying... So I listen to classical music because it is easy going and it never gets distracting... even it it may sound a little boring, it works to reduce stress and mental fatigue.

I downloaded Top 100 Classical Music Pieces yesterday... should be fun, will start working tomorrow. :D

Music is so distracting though, and I keep hearing things that I like so I get into the I MUST LISTEN TO ALL SONGS BY THIS ARTIST AND RELATED ARTISTS mode. Curse the person who invented Last.fm. :)

Oh yeah, I recently went through all my songs (~1500) and properly tagged, organized, and deleted the files that were of low bit rates or in .wma format (to avoid EE, WL1, CAS >.< )... apparently I listen to rock, punk, hip hop, metal, pop, and R&B. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Black Sabbath, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, The Wipers, Pink Floyd, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience my favorite bands personally,i have also started to listen the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" and Nirvana is pretty sweet too. I really suggest listening to a few of these bands if you ever get the chance. Black Sabbath is early metal i mean real early like 1969 i believe they started playing together, good mix of blues and metal/hard rock, avoid later albums and try to get the first 4 or 5 because they kind of lost it in the late 70s. Iggy Pop is just awesome, he was an important role in the whole punk movement but has a much edgier sound in my opinion, try "Fun House" "Raw Power" Or "The Stooges". The Jimi Hendrix Experience is just rock at its greatest with many amazing feats of their time, you can't really explain the greatness of the music you just have to listen to some albums. I would recomend all of the albums as only 3 lps were ever released, and if you can try to get yourself a copy of "A Band of Gypsies" which is a more improvisational Ep. The Wipers were a fairly underground alternative rock/psychedelic group that became very influential with out any intention of doing so, an example of a band they influence is Nirvana. Pink Floyd is a very different kind of band its kind of like a really cool opera that depicts a story throughout an album(deffinetly not something you can do homework while listening to) Well i hope i have helped you broaden your musical interests and maybe listen to some music you have not heard before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a real music lover. As soon as I get the chance, I listen to music... even now. It sounds weird but I haven't really been aware of that until my "friend" (ok, ex boyfriend) said that it was my biggest interest and that I always listen to music. Anyway, I like a variety of bands and genres, but the ones I love the most are swedish because the lyrics means much to me and I don't really analyse them if it is in english or an other language (heh, not that i know many more languages... except norwegian). My absolute favorite band at the moment is Kent (swedish).

Sometimes it can be bad to listen to music when I study, its distracting but it has become a habbit. another habbit i have is to listen to music before i go to sleep but that ussually results in me being awake for an extra hour or two. that is bad. :/

i like all music- except for extreme hardcore rock, or rap. My favourite is american, japanese, korean and chinese pop music, although classical is interesting too. Is it helpful? well it depends what mood i'm in. if i'm tired and distracted, music helps me to focus and stay awake. However it is also quite easy to get distracted by the music- i often find myself singing and carrying on rather than doing the work i'm supposed to be doing

Listening to music like instrumental really helps in concentration and sometimes also boosting the emotions, like when i am sad mood, i listen to songs like of soft rock or new age like Celtic music. During writing a report or studying, having some soft background music like Indian instrumentals is very helpful.

Edited by Solaris