The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a real music lover. As soon as I get the chance, I listen to music... even now. It sounds weird but I haven't really been aware of that until my "friend" (ok, ex boyfriend) said that it was my biggest interest and that I always listen to music. Anyway, I like a variety of bands and genres, but the ones I love the most are swedish because the lyrics means much to me and I don't really analyse them if it is in english or an other language (heh, not that i know many more languages... except norwegian). My absolute favorite band at the moment is Kent (swedish).

Sometimes it can be bad to listen to music when I study, its distracting but it has become a habbit. another habbit i have is to listen to music before i go to sleep but that ussually results in me being awake for an extra hour or two. that is bad. :/

Wow!

Do you like In Flames? I love them. I enjoy A LOT of swedish music! In Flames is my favourite band <_< , although I also like Meshuggah, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquility as well. I envy you! Let me go to Sweden someday~!...Especially Gothenburg!

In general though, I love all music. I am a music fanatic, I don't believe that there are any bad genres. Every genre is good in its own way in my opinion.

However, my main genre of choice has to be Melodic Death Metal. I am more geared towards extreme metal such as Melodic Death Metal, Death Metal, and Math Metal (no joke! It's a real genre!).

But I can't deny I love Happy Hardcore such as DJ Ravine and DJ Bluecore.

I never mind listening to Korean Pop either, and even Kanye West has found his way onto my iPod.

In case any of you were curious, yes the majority of my music has those intense death metal growling vocals. I actually enjoy it thank you very much :D

Oh yeah, believe it or not I sometimes sleep listening to metal and wake up to metal. Don't ask how it works :P ...but I admit I used to wake up with small headaches when I've left my music going on~

Edited by 17631

Ha, well I have to say...extreme metal vocals take some "growing" into to really like a lot :yahoo:.

Sigh I remember a few years ago I said to myself that "Oh growling vocals are terrible, I'll never get into that stuff"

lol...

And yes, Pirates of the Caribbean has some of the most catchy tunes ever~

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite music genre is heavy metal and almost all that goes with it. My number one band Nightwish and other great bands are for example Kamelot, Tarot, Amon Amarth, Sentenced, Battlelore, Mokoma, Stam1na etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on. Clean or grunting, melodic or trash, just bring it on. <_<

Other music genres (and maybe a bit more uncommon ones) that I like are Celtic music (bag pipes, Irish music), all kinds of folk music, movie soundtracks (especially Lord of the Rings) and some classical music.

I am more geared towards extreme metal such as Melodic Death Metal, Death Metal, and Math Metal (no joke! It's a real genre!).

Just out of curiosity, what the heck is Math Metal like? I've never heard anyone talk about that kind of genre. Can you give any examples?

Edited by Aldarion

Augh!

I thought I was the only IB metalhead!

Dam you!

Btw here's another great track from Meshuggah:

I consder Meshuggah to be math metal.

It's really extreme in the sense that yes it is heavy, they use 8 string guitars, but the time signatures and what-not are extremely akward.

Just listen to the drums, he's playing 9/16 with the bass drum and playing 4/4 with his hands.

That is so extreme!

Ah I didn't exactly read your post 100%, oops <_<

But that Finnish guy is a metalhead! Dam!

Thought I was special for it too :dash:

*sigh* It sucks too, IB is causing me to miss a lot of good concerts...missed In Flames the other week ... probably going to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra though XD

Ah I didn't exactly read your post 100%, oops :)

But that Finnish guy is a metalhead! Dam!

Thought I was special for it too :P

*sigh* It sucks too, IB is causing me to miss a lot of good concerts...missed In Flames the other week ... probably going to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra though :)

Heh. Sorry about that. :P

In Finland it's quite normal to be a metalhead or headbanger, since we have so many Finnish heavy metal bands. There's just endless list of them when the size of the country is taken into account. Seriously. :D

I listen to a lot of 'electronica'. I can't stand trance, house or happy hardcore, I'm not a huge fan of breakbeat or prog and I'm pretty picky with my drum & bass. I like psytrance, dubstep, minimal, some more industrial gabber, hardstyle and some indie-electro stuff. Tom COSM, SoNic Smith, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Skream, Phluxm, Salmonella Dub, New Born, Evil of Pain, A-Lusion, Uffie, Armand Van Helden...

Also classic rock and psychedelic rock. The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Yardbirds and The Small Faces. And Cat Stevens.

Annnddddd I listen to a lot of New Zealand music, despite the ever-increasing piles of crappy Kiwi music. There's also a quite a few local indie bands that I love. Liam Finn, Fur Patrol, Tiger Tones, Tiny Paper Daggers, Little Pictures, Bang! Bang! Eche! and So So Modern. Also on my indie interests are a few overseas bands, I'm loving Canadian band You Say Party! We Say Die! at the moment.

I find it hard to study to music with lyrics, and I usually study to electronica. It depends on how I'm feeling - minimal puts me in a good calm frame of mind, drum and bass has a similar effect to coffee and I get all distracted, psytrance is good but it depends who it's by and what it is. I hate songs changing every 3 minutes when I'm studying so I'll usually put on an hour long DJ set with a good continuous flow to it. Anyone looking for good, lyric-less music to study to, try electronica. You just need to find something that suits you.

Edited by Delysid

Listening to music like instrumental really helps in concentration and sometimes also boosting the emotions

It's an interesting point of view, that music could actually help you concentrate. I do myself, more often than not, listen to music while doing my schoolwork. I don't find that it improves my concentration however, rather it distracts me from working. Sometimes it can be a good thing, because I'm the kind of person that just can't concentrate on one thing for a long time. Having my mind on two things, i.e. schoolwork and music, helps me to keep working for a longer period of time. Otherwise I'd get fed up faster.

I find it hard to study to music with lyrics, and I usually study to electronica. It depends on how I'm feeling - minimal puts me in a good calm frame of mind, drum and bass has a similar effect to coffee and I get all distracted, psytrance is good but it depends who it's by and what it is. I hate songs changing every 3 minutes when I'm studying so I'll usually put on an hour long DJ set with a good continuous flow to it. Anyone looking for good, lyric-less music to study to, try electronica. You just need to find something that suits you.

Yeah, me too. Artists like Aphex Twin, and Squarepusher are better for my working efforts compared to metal, putting aside that music in general is a hindrance to my productivity.

It's an interesting point of view, that music could actually help you concentrate. I do myself, more often than not, listen to music while doing my schoolwork. I don't find that it improves my concentration however, rather it distracts me from working. Sometimes it can be a good thing, because I'm the kind of person that just can't concentrate on one thing for a long time. Having my mind on two things, i.e. schoolwork and music, helps me to keep working for a longer period of time. Otherwise I'd get fed up faster.

In my case, music helps my concentration, because it fades all other noise out of my ears. And many times it boosts my working or while doing a reading it sooths me nicely. Still there is sometimes the same thing with Paul that the music distracts me, IF I know the band well and all the lyrics are familiar to me. But I find it relaxing not to concentrate on school all the time even when doing the homework and for example listen to lyrics for a while before going back to homework.

Wow thats interesting.

About the Instrumental Music comment (sorry Quoting isn't working at the moment):

I find that when I listen to instrumental music it becomes a little harder for me to concentrate.

I listen to all the little musical nuances when I can while listening to a particular song or piece, and instrumental pieces typically have more things put into them.

I guess you can say the lack of lyrics allows the artist to compose more intricate music usually, which I find interesting and a little more distracting :)

Yeah, me too. Artists like Aphex Twin, and Squarepusher are better for my working efforts compared to metal, putting aside that music in general is a hindrance to my productivity.

You listen to Aphex Twin.

I love you.

Also, to the guy who likes dubstep: Have you heard of Burial? That guy is unreal.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

• 2 weeks later...
I like music very much, but it's not like I wouldn't survive without it (even if life would be pretty lame). My taste in music varies all the time, but right now I listen a lot to Crystal Castles, The Klaxons, The Deer Tracks, Foals, Tori Amos and a Swedish band called Kultiration. :dash: Music while studying.. sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. Depends on what language the lyrics are in and what subject you're studying.

I went to a Crystal Castles concert two months ago, it was the best thing ever. If you get the chance you should definitely go.