The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

Ach, Muse! I'm in two minds about their new album (possibly because BBC Radio 1 have been playing it to absolute death and doing all this "Musenight" stuff). It's top class Muse, no doubt about it, but at the same time it's still just Muse. They're one big band which I can't help but feel never really pushed the boat out and moved on with their stuff in terms of developing a new sound or just generally trying out new things. In many ways this is good (they don't put a foot wrong), but at the same time, it gets a bit repetitive D: The new album is on the whole excellent though (even though I'm not that partial to Muse!).

Although perhaps it could do without those annoying background voices yelling "HOY" in Uprising!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Naa I'd have to say I'm in total disagreement there XD I think this new album definitely has a unique sound to it that shows a significant progression from their previous work. To me, I feel like there's a fresh feel to it because they've woven classical bits into a lot of the songs, and the scale of their work has truly reached new heights. Oh well, at least we can both agree that it's an excellent album XD

• 1 month later...

I think the new MUSE cd was good and all of that, but not as good as everyone thinks. Of course, that is my opinion. Its as if they were trying to hard to sound epic or summat, as if they wanted to be like The Who (Tommy) or Queen... almost every song sounds as a rip off. Still I like the cd; don't believe its great, but it is good.

Ach, Muse! I'm in two minds about their new album (possibly because BBC Radio 1 have been playing it to absolute death and doing all this "Musenight" stuff). It's top class Muse, no doubt about it, but at the same time it's still just Muse. They're one big band which I can't help but feel never really pushed the boat out and moved on with their stuff in terms of developing a new sound or just generally trying out new things. In many ways this is good (they don't put a foot wrong), but at the same time, it gets a bit repetitive D: The new album is on the whole excellent though (even though I'm not that partial to Muse!).

Although perhaps it could do without those annoying background voices yelling "HOY" in Uprising!! :P

Aw, I think they've moved on quite a lot as a band. I suppose it's all down to people's judgement though. I know some people who think they're boring and that all of their songs sound the same, but I (and quite a few people) think they write in a wide range of styles...

I love the new album anyway. I think Absolution is their best but The Resistance does show some class. I looooove Exogenesis as well!

I can be a bit of a music nazi though, haha. I like about five modern bands, loads of classical stuff, and loads of jazz stuff. Oh and you can't go wrong with Hendrix either!

Any Radiohead fans?

Edited by Dr Tchock

hmm, I like so many different artists haha. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Jason Mraz and Queen, and the Beatles of course... And then Barenaked Ladies are really good - and I just discovered this awesome israeli band called "Avtipus".

Anyone here have Spotify? I love it, I just skimmed through this last page and added all the artists people mentioned to my "to try" list, it's so much fun :P

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... My music taste is... strange. Well I usually on my playlist have mixed up songs of Dir en Grey (japanese rock band, my favourite :]) Rammstein, Guns'n'Roses, Gorillaz, Oomph!, Norah Jones, Mozart, In Flames, Gnarls Barkley, one song of Taylor Swift,( but shush, that's secret :),)Beethoven, Led Zeppelin...

Well I must say I love classic rock, but I listen almost to every kind of music. :]

I can electric and classic guitar pretty good, I also write songs and sing :]

So I can't live without music, and it's my father's fault :<

Edited by Chaen

I love lots of types of music, although it mostly circulates around the vague 'rock' umbrella term. I find that it's harmful when studying to listen, though, since I tend to concentrate on the lyrics instead of what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm easily distracted <_<

Green Day is genius.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like either really indie, or really mainstream. Paramore and Lights are some of my favorites, but I also like mewithoutYou and Rilo Kiley.

Then there's Death Cab For Cutie, which is really mainstream Indie (seriously everyone knows these guys yet they are still heralded as "super indie").

I also grew up listening to a lot of 70s and 80s popular rock, so I know all the classics there. I don't really listen to them anymore, but I can recite the lyrics of entire Beatles or David Bowie albums.

Edited by Grumps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest saturday

I really, REALLY think everyone should go listen to the new Muse CD (The Resistance) :)

It's brilliant.

I've listened to it! And I love the cover art. MK Ultra is my favourite song.

Right now though, I've been listening to Florence + The Machine... It's a nice change.

Oh I love spotify for trying out new music! I listen to so many different types of music. When I am studying I usually listen to classical music or something that I am learning to play on flute. But I love Regina Spektor, Imogen Heap, Tori Amos and that kind of music.

• 3 months later...

I'm open to all genres, provided that it's been made with effort and isn't pretentious (most of the hip-hop and pop/punk you hear on the radio nowadays). I tend to like bands who put a lot of effort into writing their lyrics/composing their music despite knowing that they aren't money-making machines.

Lately I've been into indie/alternative music like Bright Eyes, My Morning Jacket, The Pixies, She $ Him, basically music with meaningful lyrics, IMO. Really gets my brain going. I'm getting into the Editors and Belle & Sebastian but that'll take some time. Before that, I was really into metal bands such as Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Job for a Cowboy, Shadows Fall etc. I couldn't understand anything they said (or screamed, I should say) but the energy that came with it was just insane. It gave me chills every time. Most of the bands I listen to are old. I love the 60s-80s (The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughan) in particular.

Psychedelic music gets me too. Favorite would have to be Pink Floyd (durr). Their Dark Side of the Moon album is surreal, I love it.

Basically I'll listen to anything with the guitar; I can't stand listening to a song I love without being able to play the guitar part for it!

EDIT: And sorry for the necro-bump! <_<

Edited by zen16

Seeing as this is the music thread, I thought i'd do a little bit of promoting :D

If you like hip-hop or UK Grime, Kano's new song "Upside" featuring Michelle Breeze is premiering on Radio 1 today, also the video is on youtube :) (I'm promoting because I'm on his street team, only reason :P, oh and it's not a bad song)

I'm into 70s punk rock: The Clash, Ramones, Television, Patti Smith etc and at the moment I'm also getting into some great post-punk bands like Gang of Four, Au Pairs and The Cure. I'm also a big fan of ska, funk and reggae :blink: Also Indie bands, I just saw Belle & Sebastian which was incredible!

My music taste is generally pretty retro but its fairly broad, I just dislike anything thats particularly commercial and I try to listen to things that are a bit different.

well, i like all types, but everyone says that. to be more exact, lately, i've been really into biago antonacci, calvin harris, michael bublé, k'naan, nek, tiziano ferro, and the bloody beetroots. ok, there's more, but the jist of it is: electronic, italian, hip-hop, and anything i can dance to :P

mostly, i listen to music while studying, but i'm able to tune it out, so I don't really pay attention to the music. yeah... there really is no point to that. but i also listen to music whilst surfing the web and boring free blocks at school.

Oh music is my escape. I dont really listen to a specific genre of music. I prefer to listen to a variety of music sounds and artists. It also depends on my mood.

Personally, i think listening to quality music with meaningful lyrics and great sounds... oh my favourite.

Best bands and artists: Archive, Coldplay, Radiohead, Pix Lax, Buena Vista Social Club. My favourite singres are Carlos Santana, Manu Chao and Tom Waits. Guys is just magic