Paper 2 - How to study (for mini-mocks)?

Hentheden

So, I have a History Paper 2 mini-mock next week (Authoritarian & SPS [Hitler, Stalin, Peron & Castro]) and I have been reading up on the specific people etc. but I really don't have a study method.

So:
How would you suggest studying for Paper 2?

I'm not sure how detailed a 'mini-mock' is (is it just a practice Paper 2) but I would definitely suggest researching historians' views (and remember their names, opinions, etc.) and going over your notes for each topic. Good luck!

• Like 1

Would be smart to get Historian names, but if you're fine with just a 5 or 6, then just make sure you get all of the events, names, places and dates down and you should do that easily. It's a lot of work but it pays off when you don't even find the prompts remotely challenging.

I'm not sure how detailed a 'mini-mock' is (is it just a practice Paper 2) but I would definitely suggest researching historians' views (and remember their names, opinions, etc.) and going over your notes for each topic. Good luck!

What would you suggest using to find said historical views? The textbook I have is generic and a google search doesn't reveal much.

If your school has access to online databases like EBSCOhost, I would definitely recommend using them.

Also, If your Paper 2 is next week, you can try the non-fiction part of your library and write down or photocopy various interpretations of historical events (even other history textbooks available at the library can be useful for this).

Find past paper 2s if you can, and do the questions on the topics which you've gone through without any books/notes/etc.. Write these in bullet points, so you can see what you know, and then compare with your notes or some books. If you also have the mark scheme, you could even mark it yourself or get someone else to mark it for you.

Remember that historiography, citing historians and all that is a good thing, but not necessary to get a 7. If you include this, make sure you do so effectively - i.e. don't write a random paragraph about historiography which does not fit with the rest of the essay. So don't fret if you can't remember any during a mock exam. Reading various interpretations of a historical event is always useful, though, and will give you a better understanding of the topic's different sides.

To make sure you time the paper correctly, I'd perhaps actually find a timer, set it to 1h30m and do a complete past paper 2. This is also a good way to see what you know whilst under pressure, and perhaps get used to what you should do, and how you're going to do it, as well as to see how any techniques you've read about works for you. Again, if you have the mark scheme, mark the essays afterwards.

Furthermore, the pinned threads in this sub-forum are good, you should read through them if you haven't yet.

Good luck!

Edited by alefal
  • Like 2