English Language Extended Essay help?

StormySky

Hey...

I am writing an English Language extended essay and it turns out that not many people have done that in my school (or even outside school, actually). So I was looking into how memes about terrorism had developed and whether they implied any societal stereotypes or mindsets. It would be a research of memes of a particular kind, I suppose. But how would I develop it?

Would that be an English EE? Sounds a bit more like a psychology EE or something along those lines. I always thought an English EE would be something about English Literature. :P Of course, I could be completely wrong, so take this comment with a grain of salt, and it would be much better if you asked your IB supervisor about it. :)

I haven't actually known people to do English Language EEs, those are rarer where I went to school. I think your topic is interesting, but I would wonder how that relates to the development of the English language and the manner in which it has been affected.

My suggestion: Look at the EE syllabus guide for your topic and see what the guidance, marking criteria, requirements, etc. are. Then consider whether or not, and also how, the idea of your topic can be incorporated within it. Because it sounds, from my understanding of it, that your topic has more a human rights/free speech/psychology/linguistics spin to it.

Maybe we could help you more if you elucidated your thoughts about your topic a little more? What are the basic ideas that are fundamental to your topic? Wat exactly are you interested in researching and writing about?

Well, memes ARE a form of communication, right? My topic was approved my EE advisor and the head of the English department. It's just that I really wanted to do language and I was drawing a blank when it came to ideas. This did seem apt... I was considering the following aspects.

• what are memes? - (quote from Richard Dawkins, from The Selfish Gene) - idea or concept spreads from person to person within a culture
    • what are Internet memes?
    • why are Internet memes different? - made by user, gives them more power, more expression, spread faster because of the medium
    • what is 'viral'?
    • what kind of memes exist about terrorism and what makes them go 'viral'?
    • have memes impacted how we view terrorism? (or are they just a part of 'harmless humor'?)
    • how have memes impacted our view on terrorism? (if they have?)

Yeah, so these are basically the points I had in mind.

@Sandwich and @Matsu: you both have to read the EE guide for English Language A1. It clearly has a Category 3: Studies in language option that one could do for an Extended Essay in English Language A1. Within this category one is required to analyse texts (in a broad sense covering pictures, films, websites AND memes etc.) and their contexts.

From the IB EE guide for 2013 (page 23):

Category 3: Studies in language

Where appropriate, students may compare and contrast dierent languages and cultures. However, the main focus of category 3 extended essays should be on the language and culture(s) of the language in which the extended essay is written.
Category 3 extended essays emphasize the production and reception of texts in cultural contexts, and essays of a general cultural nature are not appropriate. They must involve close textual analysis. It is emphasized that texts are constructed and understood in specific cultural and historical contexts; meaning may be contested.

(page 25):

Category 3–Studies in language: whatever area of language study the student chooses for their extended essay they will need to give focused and critical attention to the text or texts being considered. This close analysis must be integrated into a wider discussion of the contexts in which the text or texts are produced and understood.

Students are encouraged to adopt an analytical, critical position, and to show awareness of potentially con"icting viewpoints on texts and their meaning in a wider social context. Straightforward descriptive essays are inappropriate. Students should aim to be balanced, argue coherently, and present relevant supporting examples.
Students should develop a focused and manageable research question, approaching it critically and independently.
Texts
The term ‘text’ for the purpose of a category 3 language extended essay is de#ned to include the widest range of oral, written and visual materials present in society. This range will include:
• single and multiple images with or without written text
• literary written texts and text extracts
• media texts, for example #lms, radio and television programmes and their scripts
• electronic texts that share aspects of a number of media texts, for example, video sharing websites, web pages, sms messages, blogs, wikis and tweets.
• oral texts will include readings, speeches, broadcasts and transcriptions of recorded conversation.
Edited by dniviE