TykeDragon

List of IB failing/passing conditions

54 posts in this topic

Erm are some words missing? Or am I just being silly?

d. No grade 1?

h. At least 12 points? (Candidates who have registered...16 points)?

Edited, it seems that the 1s didn't copy across. Thanks :)

No probs.

Useful for further reading, thanks :P (and to prove I'm not lying... :P) just thought I'd save people the effort of finding it and scrolling through it, so the actual list is here XD

1 person likes this

Very useful information. Solve my question of if we can obtain our diploma with 3s in HL courses.

Does anyone know if you can get your diploma if you dont finish CAS? I mean what if you do a full 150 but there's more of service and less of creative? But you got close?

Does anyone know if you can get your diploma if you dont finish CAS? I mean what if you do a full 150 but there's more of service and less of creative? But you got close?

CAS is required to get the diploma, but your school will decide if you have completed CAS or not. Sometimes it gets moderated, but I don't think this happens too often. Some schools set a requirement of 150 hours with 50 of each area, others a reasonable balance between the three (meaning like 60 of service, 50 of action, and 40 of creativity would be OK). You need to check with your school specifically. If they feel you didn't finish CAS, you won't receive your diploma.

2 people like this

CAS is required to get the diploma, but your school will decide if you have completed CAS or not. Sometimes it gets moderated, but I don't think this happens too often. Some schools set a requirement of 150 hours with 50 of each area, others a reasonable balance between the three (meaning like 60 of service, 50 of action, and 40 of creativity would be OK). You need to check with your school specifically. If they feel you didn't finish CAS, you won't receive your diploma.

Alright thank you so much! I'll ask about that! :)

It is very confusing how these failing conditions change depending on the overall total points you gain. They are so confusing.

Hi guys. I'd like to know what you mean by "Grade 1" or "Grade 2"?

Quite simply getting a 1 in your overall score out of 7 in an IB subject is getting a Grade 1. That's what they mean.

1 person likes this

Can anyone tell me the chat of extra points that I can earn through EE and TOK? Like A in one and A in other I get +3.

And also how does the grade in ToK Essay and presentation get converted into A, B, C etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me the chat of extra points that I can earn through EE and TOK? Like A in one and A in other I get +3. And also how does the grade in ToK Essay and presentation get converted into A, B, C etc? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A quick google search yields this chart. Simply find the combination of your EE grade and TOK grade, and you will see how many points you will get. N = no diploma awarded.

IB%20Assessment%20Matrix.jpg

TOK has its own grade boundaries marked out of 60 points, 20 of which come from the presentation and 40 of which come from the essay. You can look these up, they don't vary too much from year to year. It's usually about 19 points to get a D, and the other boundaries go from there.

So my final exams are in May and as of now these are my grades :

HL :

english - 4

geography-4

film-6

SL:

french- 5

biology-3

math studies- 4

TOK - D

will I pass with this?

You're currently sitting on 26 points, but yes you will pass provided you complete an Extended Essay (Grade D and above) and meet all CAS requirements.

If your EE is a grade E then you won't pass unless your total score is 28 or more.

Hey guys
I have one quick question : If I am just taking 2 IB courses (lets say  HL Math and HL Chem ) and get like a 2 on Math, would I still get a certificate ? I mean, would that count as a failed subject ?

Hey guys

I have one quick question : If I am just taking 2 IB courses (lets say  HL Math and HL Chem ) and get like a 2 on Math, would I still get a certificate ? I mean, would that count as a failed subject ?

If you get a 2 on Math HL, that would count as failing. I'm not sure whether you still get a certificate, but it wouldn't be worth much if you didn't pass the exam. You could, however, still get a certificate for Chem HL, providing you passed that course ^_^

Edited by Sofia Karlsson

You get a certificate with the grade you obtain (i.e. a 2 which is a failing grade).

EDIT: I've just seen this was an old topic. Sorry for that!

Edited by Zarathustra

First of all, I am truly grateful for all of your replies. Second of all, I would like to ask a question. Do we have to meet a certain number of hours in order to do the IB assessments and pass? I know that the IB recommends a 150 hours for standard level and 240 hours for higher level, yet do I HAVE to do these hours in order to pass. The reason I am asking this is that my adorable outstanding unparalleled IB coordinator is saying that I will fail if I don't meet the hours and if my teachers fail to present a timetable that proves that these hours have been taught. So, is this a reality? Do we HAVE to meet a specific number of hours or else bye bye diploma? I really need to know. Thank you all for your help and contribution.

First of all, I am truly grateful for all of your replies. Second of all, I would like to ask a question. Do we have to meet a certain number of hours in order to do the IB assessments and pass? I know that the IB recommends a 150 hours for standard level and 240 hours for higher level, yet do I HAVE to do these hours in order to pass. The reason I am asking this is that my adorable outstanding unparalleled IB coordinator is saying that I will fail if I don't meet the hours and if my teachers fail to present a timetable that proves that these hours have been taught. So, is this a reality? Do we HAVE to meet a specific number of hours or else bye bye diploma? I really need to know. Thank you all for your help and contribution.

I think and repeat i think that it is per school. not sure IB will say much, but it's possible that you won't meet your school requirements. For example, my school NEEDS you to have a certain number of class hours to graduate.

So i figure that it's per school, but I am not totally sure.

To pass the IB you need:

- A minimum IB grade (this is not your grade in class, but the IB grade determined by your internal assements and final year exams) of 24 points ( a combination of your final IB grade for all your subjects and a combination of your TOK and Extended essay grade)

- Fulfill all your neccesary CAS (community and service) requirements- which can vary in either CAS essay or reflection which must have a passing grade and it is mandatory to finish all required CAS hours.

-Finally you must not break any IB rules to a great extent such as that of academic honesty

Hope this helps! :)