List of IB failing/passing conditions

• 5 months later...

First of all, I am truly grateful for all of your replies. Second of all, I would like to ask a question. Do we have to meet a certain number of hours in order to do the IB assessments and pass? I know that the IB recommends a 150 hours for standard level and 240 hours for higher level, yet do I HAVE to do these hours in order to pass. The reason I am asking this is that my adorable outstanding unparalleled IB coordinator is saying that I will fail if I don't meet the hours and if my teachers fail to present a timetable that proves that these hours have been taught. So, is this a reality? Do we HAVE to meet a specific number of hours or else bye bye diploma? I really need to know. Thank you all for your help and contribution.

First of all, I am truly grateful for all of your replies. Second of all, I would like to ask a question. Do we have to meet a certain number of hours in order to do the IB assessments and pass? I know that the IB recommends a 150 hours for standard level and 240 hours for higher level, yet do I HAVE to do these hours in order to pass. The reason I am asking this is that my adorable outstanding unparalleled IB coordinator is saying that I will fail if I don't meet the hours and if my teachers fail to present a timetable that proves that these hours have been taught. So, is this a reality? Do we HAVE to meet a specific number of hours or else bye bye diploma? I really need to know. Thank you all for your help and contribution.

I think and repeat i think that it is per school. not sure IB will say much, but it's possible that you won't meet your school requirements. For example, my school NEEDS you to have a certain number of class hours to graduate.

So i figure that it's per school, but I am not totally sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

We as IB Diploma students face a lot of difficulty at the beginning of the curriculum. Here is a short survey which I have created to understand these problems. Please spare a minute to answer three questions in it. 

Kindly follow the link below: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fHd3aVRDZx2Kk-SM1hOoZMeLaw5tOSerOepzPgczuEs/viewform

• 2 weeks later...

To pass the IB you need:

- A minimum IB grade (this is not your grade in class, but the IB grade determined by your internal assements and final year exams) of 24 points ( a combination of your final IB grade for all your subjects and a combination of your TOK and Extended essay grade)

- Fulfill all your neccesary CAS (community and service) requirements- which can vary in either CAS essay or reflection which must have a passing grade and it is mandatory to finish all required CAS hours.

-Finally you must not break any IB rules to a great extent such as that of academic honesty

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Im just worry about my exams and the results. Will I pass if i will get marks like this:

HL 

English; 5/6

Chemistry 3/4

Geography 5

SL

Polish 3

German 4/5

Math 3/4

Tok and EE rather both be on C. 

Please consider the lowest grades.

Hey guys! Im just worry about my exams and the results. Will I pass if i will get marks like this:

HL 

English; 5/6

Chemistry 3/4

Geography 5

SL

Polish 3

German 4/5

Math 3/4

Tok and EE rather both be on C. 

Please consider the lowest grades.

That gives you a total of 23 - 27 depending on what you get.

If you add your "1" point you would get if you got C on TOK and EE that would give you 24-28 grand total of points.

You need at least 24 points to receive the diploma.

Is it the same of certificate students?

Well since you aren't a diploma student, most of these conditions don't apply to you. But yes, you can still fail an exam if you don't get a high enough score.

How about if I get a 2 on a sl level subject?? In the failing conditions one 2 is okay but for certificate??

I'm not sure, but i believe that a 2 is a failing grade for the certificate. I remember a teacher of mine saying that a 2 in SL was failing, and a 3 in HL the same. But i dont know for sure.

Do you have to pass each exam paper or just overall. For example, I have 3 papers in History HL. Do I need a 4+ in all 3 papers or is it enough if my overall grade is a 4+?

Overall score.

Hello! I'm taking 4 SL courses, so does that mean I need 12 points total? :D Just making sure, thanks.

Well one of those subjects doesn't count towards your diploma because it's either 3 HL / 3 SL or 4 HL / 2 SL. For the three that are counting, refer to the guidelines for the required score for the 3 HL / 3 SL option. Your other subject doesn't affect your diploma, so theoretically you can get any score you want on it and you'd be okay.

Unless you're just a certificate student, in which points don't matter and you just need to pass each exam.

• Like 1

Well one of those subjects doesn't count towards your diploma because it's either 3 HL / 3 SL or 4 HL / 2 SL. For the three that are counting, refer to the guidelines for the required score for the 3 HL / 3 SL option. Your other subject doesn't affect your diploma, so theoretically you can get any score you want on it and you'd be okay.

Unless you're just a certificate student, in which points don't matter and you just need to pass each exam.

Thank you for the reply! I'll contact my coordinator and see which of the SL courses are the ones that count towards my diploma.

I'm confused: can you get a 3 on an HL exam and still get the IB Diploma , with 24 points? If for example you get a 3 in history HL and a 4 and 5 in 2 other HL classes. That's still a 12 total for HL classes, according to the OP. 

Edited by Rhoda

I'm confused: can you get a 3 on an HL exam and still get the IB Diploma , with 24 points? If for example you get a 3 in history HL and a 4 and 5 in 2 other HL classes. That's still a 12 total for HL classes, according to the OP.

Yes, this is fine. You just can't score a 1 or 2 at HL. Doing either is an automatic failing condition, even if you had 7's in every other subject and an A in both your EE and ToK essay.

Yes, this is fine. You just can't score a 1 or 2 at HL. Doing either is an automatic failing condition, even if you had 7's in every other subject and an A in both your EE and ToK essay.

Are you Super sure? I faintly remember the IB admin at my school saying not to get a 3 in HL... like, getting a 3 there = must get 28 points or something. Maybe I remembered that wrong. As long as I get 12 points in my HL classes (of whatever combination, as long as none is a 1 or 2 score), and 12 points via SL to get a total of 24 points you're saying I'm good? wow. 

• 2 weeks later...

I retook my math exam this year's session, as I got 2. Furthermore, I got C for EE and E for TOK last year, since I took part in the May '14 session. Does the rules apply to me, which would actually mean that I'm failing the Diploma? It's so confusing ... 

PS I'm having 24 points now, 

• kw0573 locked this topic