List of IB failing/passing conditions

I retook my math exam this year's session, as I got 2. Furthermore, I got C for EE and E for TOK last year, since I took part in the May '14 session. Does the rules apply to me, which would actually mean that I'm failing the Diploma? It's so confusing ... 

PS I'm having 24 points now, 

Sadly, I dont really think that you can obtain IB diploma in this condition. You retake the TOK right ? 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
21 hours ago, IcameIconqueredIB said:

Can extra points from the EE and TOK be applied anywhere you are deficient or do they only apply to SL?

I don't really understand your question. EE/TOk aka bonus points, contribute to your total score. They don't add up to your subject grades. So your subject grades make up the 42/45 points. The maximum you can get from your subjects is 42/42. Then, on top of that, you can get 0-3 points extra from your EE and TOK grades. 

• 2 months later...

hi

Okay so i just completed my IB exams in May 2016. These are my results;

5,5,4 (PSYCHOLOGY, ENGLISH AND ECONOMICS HL)

5,5,4 (ESS, MATH STUDIES SL, FRENCH AB INITIO )

i got a B grade in TOK and an E in my extended essay psychology.

However, they did not give me a Diploma, and all this while i thought it was because of my EE, however, looking through the guides and other sources i feel like there is a mistake?

am i eligible for a diploma? i have given for reevaluation, and my university has also withdrawn their offer on the basis that i haven't "successfully completed the IB Diploma".

please help.

On 7/20/2016 at 10:25 AM, DontKNowWhatToDO said:

i got a B grade in TOK and an E in my extended essay psychology. However, they did not give me a Diploma, and all this while i thought it was because of my EE, however, looking through the guides and other sources i feel like there is a mistake? am i eligible for a diploma? i have given for reevaluation, and my university has also withdrawn their offer on the basis that i haven't "successfully completed the IB Diploma".

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm afraid that you will not be granted the diploma according to the new IB failing/passing criteria (published in April 2014). If you look at this document: http://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf under Article 13, then you'll see that one of the requirements for getting a diploma is: "There is no grade E awarded for theory of knowledge and/or the extended essay". Since you got an E in the extended essay, you will not be awarded with the diploma.

On 7/20/2016 at 3:25 AM, DontKNowWhatToDO said:

hi

i got a B grade in TOK and an E in my extended essay psychology.

However, they did not give me a Diploma, and all this while i thought it was because of my EE, however, looking through the guides and other sources i feel like there is a mistake?

am i eligible for a diploma? i have given for reevaluation, and my university has also withdrawn their offer on the basis that i haven't "successfully completed the IB Diploma".

please help.

In that case, I recommend you apply for regrade on your EE, as that is the only barrier from getting a diploma. Talk to your coordinator about regrading. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/14/2013 at 4:53 PM, Erudite said:

Quite simply getting a 1 in your overall score out of 7 in an IB subject is getting a Grade 1. That's what they mean.

I might be asking something that's already been answered but just so I'm sure, getting a 1 over all means getting a final score of 1 on your IB subject but getting a 1 on the final exam doesn't mean you won't pass as long your internal assessment and stuff bring the overall grade back up right?

7 hours ago, Annyrain said:

I might be asking something that's already been answered but just so I'm sure, getting a 1 over all means getting a final score of 1 on your IB subject but getting a 1 on the final exam doesn't mean you won't pass as long your internal assessment and stuff bring the overall grade back up right?

That's right. IB awards grades based on a weighted average of raw grades. In fact every year, IB first make the overall grade boundaries before looking at grade boundaries for IAs or a specific paper. The individual assessment grade boundaries are only to guide students on how they did compared to others and those are not used to calculate grades at all. 

CHANGES FROM 2015 ONWARDS;

Starting with the May 2015 session the following failing conditions and associated codes have replaced the previous ones.

1. CAS requirements have not been met.

2. Candidate’s total points are fewer than 24.

3. An N has been given for theory of knowledge, extended essay or for a contributing subject.

4. A grade E has been awarded for one or both of theory of knowledge and the extended essay.

5. There is a grade 1 awarded in a subject/level.

6. Grade 2 has been awarded three or more times (HL or SL).

7. Grade 3 or below has been awarded four or more times (HL or SL).

8. Candidate has gained fewer than 12 points on HL subjects (for candidates who register for four HL subjects, the three highest grades count).

9. Candidate has gained fewer than 9 points on SL subjects (candidates who register for two SL subjects must gain at least 5 points at SL).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • kw0573 locked this topic

This topic is now locked. Please click on the "recommended post" for the current list of failing and passing conditions.
The following is the latest ToK/EE scoring matrix, taking from the 2018 DP Assessment Procedures. Given that C is the average grade in both ToK and EE, any combo of grades "above average" will score 2 or 3 points. Unlike few years back, E is now a definite fail.

image.png