IB Math Studies IA- Help Please!

mchll_vu

I've been thinking about looking at the relationship between latitude and a country's GDP but I don't know if there's enough math that I could incorporate into it. I know I can talk about the correlation between the two using a graph.

Anyone have any suggestions on the math I could use?

Thanks!

Edited by mchll_vu

Hey there!

We can unfortunately not just tell you what you should do, as that is an integral part of the assessment of your work. If we were to tell you what to do, it would have been our ideas that would be assessed, not yours. This would be classified as cheating by the IBO, and could result in the withdrawal of your diploma. In addition, it is clearly stated in the forum rules that you cannot 'ask people on here to do your work for you' (direct quote from the rules, which can be accessed here).

In the maths studies IA, you will need to use both simple and sophisticated mathematical processes. Simple mathematical processes can be:

• Standard deviation
  • Mean
  • Median
  • Percentage
  • Most probability
  • addition
  • division

... whilst examples of sophisticated mathematical processes are:

• Chi-squared
  • Regression line
  • Pearson's correlation coefficient

I have also heard that you learn to use the t-test in the new syllabus. If this is the case, then this too should count as a sophisticated mathematical process.

Keep in mind that there are also mathematical processes relating to geometry and calculus (and other topics), but I suppose those are not useful for your IA. You can use all of the statistical processes I listed in various ways, but make sure that all of the processes you use are used for something, whether that leads to another process or something you can form a conclusion on. As the conclusions must be relevant with regards to the research questions, it is also important to make sure the processes make sense in that context. Of course, the processes need to be accurate too if you want to get a good mark!

Good luck!

• Like 4