elizac96

I'm quite sure that universities have set entry requirements, which don't vary depending on the quality of the personal statement. The personal statement simply has to be of a certain quality to meet one of the criteria for acceptance, which THEN leads to meeting the entry requirements. :)

Edited by micogo

I wouldn't rely on your personal statement to get acceptances in universities. The grades are ultimately the most important factor, so I'd focus on reaching the requirements first and then making a good personal statement. Especially if you're applying to prestigious universities, as the competition is so intense that those accepted are those that have both the grades needed AND a very strong personal statement.

I'd say it's more like when you have good predicted grades and a grat personal statement, they may give you a lower offer ie be more flexible because they want you. But you'd have to be really great I think and that is only my own theory, basically like it was said, try to have both.

A personal statement alone will not get you a lower offer. When I applied to Warwick for Law, their minimum entry requirements were a 38, but my offer was for a 36. It happens.

Sometimes, if you impress a university enough, you can basically get an unconditional offer.

A girl I know interviewed at Cambridge for Political Science and she impressed them so much that she basically got an unconditional offer with a stipulation of: gain at least 1 point in all your IB subjects.

One of the things that you can represent in your personal statement (given that you're truthful and applying for a degree where this is possible) that can give you a lower offer is work experience, which I know has happened on a few occasions in my personal circle of friends. However, I'd say that before you receive an offer, you should assume that the offer will be roughly equivalent to the model offer on the uni website.

Edited by difiCa

• 4 weeks later...