Shad Valley

LancerGirl

A few of my friends are going. One of them is going to a school in Montreal which I am very jealous of because my second favorite city is Montreal.

I didn't apply because it seemed like too much work to do just to spent a month in a university.

I've got a friend who's going to Nova Scotia for Shad.. or was it newfoundland... I don't remember =P

Are you allowed to pick where you want to go?

Your friend is going to be bored in the middle of nowhere but fishing and oil rigs. :D

Are you allowed to pick where you want to go?

Your friend is going to be bored in the middle of nowhere but fishing and oil rigs. :)

Middle of nowhere!?!?!1?one!! I resent that, lol. :) We do a lot more then fishing and oil harvesting... like hockey.

Btw, Nova Scotia ftw!

I heard it's a great program

I'm not going though

How can you give up your whole summer?

It looks great on a resume though

:) Yeah, the resume part is true... but I don't see it as giving up my summer, I see it as a trip to Calgary by myself, where I can stay in the University, do science without being marked, and do a lot of other stuff (like hiking). Although I heard we won't be getting much sleep... :)

Middle of nowhere!?!?!1?one!! I resent that, lol. :) We do a lot more then fishing and oil harvesting... like hockey.

Btw, Nova Scotia ftw!

Sorry...that was a really bad attempt at a joke. I've been watching too many fishing videos in Geo about the grand banks... :)

And yes...NS ftw...

wait...Crosby ftW!

• 3 months later...

Hey! Who went to Shad Valley this summer and thought it was awesome? :) I was at the Calgary Campus, and I know it was a great experience (got to meet some fellow IBers, all from different parts of the country, which was cool).

Oh, and who's going to the RBC Cup in Waterloo this October?

Edited by LancerGirl

So, a bunch of people in IB are always chattering about Shad Valley. Could someone explain what it is? - My buddy Google didnt really break it down for me.

Think of it this way... You get to spend 27 living in the dorms of a Canadian University. You'll be sleep deprieved (i.e. fall alseep on desks inbetween lectures, etc.) for weeks, and by the end, probably not sleep at all. You'll attend lectures covering many aspects of business and science daily, do some activities you would have never dreamed of, and meet the MOST AMAZING people. It seems like nerd camp... and it is... but it's an amazing experience that you will never forget >.<

I know I went through post-Shad withdrawl, and still am...

Oh, and it looks awesome on University Applications!

No problemo :P

Ok i'm in my 1st year of ib and i've heard about that program.

I was just wondering about the scale of competition to get in to the program. Is it really hard to be selected????

What are the academic scores like for those who got into it???

Edited by hk213

Ok i'm in my 1st year of ib and i've heard about that program.

I was just wondering about the scale of competition to get in to the program. Is it really hard to be selected????

What are the academic scores like for those who got into it???

The competition is not horribly tough, as far as I know. 3 other IB students and a grade 12 student were able to get into the program at my school. There is an application to complete, several essays to write, a recommendation (from a teacher, etc.), and a "creativity project" you have to submit with your registration. From what I remember, you also have to submit your grades from the last 3 years and your current year, and you have to give them an idea of your character: this is all done by filling out an "activities information" sheet, that details your grades, your possible career interests, what sports, clubs, activites, and programs you are a part of (which shouldn't be too bad, because of CAS!) From what I remember, I sent 4 pages in for my registration, plus the application.

For the marks, I was in "High Honours" (85%+) in Grade 10 with low-to-medium 90%s, while in Grade 8 & 9 I was in "Platnium" (3.8 GPA), while my marks for 1st Year IB had currently been in the 5s and 6s. However, as far as I know, marks only play a partial role (altough I'm not sure to what scale). Remember that there's about 50-60 people per campus, and that there are 12 campuses. The total cost for the program is about $2500 (I know, it's a lot, but well worth it). Hopefully some "scholarships" will be offered if you do get into the program (I know my student council gave me some funding, and that I got money from the province as well).

As far as I have to say: don't be discouraged by whether or not your marks are "good enough" or whether your application will be "good enough" to beat the competition. Do the application to the best of your ability, send it in, and see what happens. Worse case senario: they turn you down, and you try again next year. But the positive possibility greatly outweighs the possible risk: Shad is AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE. I know that there is no other way I would have wanted to spend the first month of my summer, and that I greatly miss my "Shad family".

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
wow thanks for that insight on the application process

this year i'm thinking of applying to UBC, Dalhousie and Calgary :D

No problem. Dalhousie is beautiful, and University of Calgary is just plain INTENSE (yay for Shad inside jokes :D ). From what I've heard, University of British Columbia is also very awesome. Technically though, you apply for all of the universities: you just list the unis in order of preference.