Shad Valley

LancerGirl

Shad Valley seems to be extremely interesting...when do they take place? And would you recomend to go there in the year between IB1 and IB2, taking into account that you need to do your EE?

And...(no, not a question this time) my apologies for asking so much...I shall consult the website too :D

EDIT: I checked out their website. I am seriously considering signing up for it. But I wonder whether they offer scholarships to international students and what its the cost of the entire program for international program?

Edited by saya

Shad Valley seems to be extremely interesting...when do they take place? And would you recomend to go there in the year between IB1 and IB2, taking into account that you need to do your EE?

And...(no, not a question this time) my apologies for asking so much...I shall consult the website too -_-

EDIT: I checked out their website. I am seriously considering signing up for it. But I wonder whether they offer scholarships to international students and what its the cost of the entire program for international program?

Shad occurs from July 28 - June 25, so it's for the first month of summer vacation. It did not interfere with my EE (as it was the beginning of summer). Most of the Shads from my campus were grade 11 (so equivalent IB1), with a couple grade 12s and grade 10s. The only problem with going to Shad in IB2 means that it may interfere with university applications and such. Other then that, all you need to take into account is that it is a month long, and that you won't be getting any work outside of Shad done while you're there (the days are packed, from the moment you wake up, until the moment you go to sleep, which was often at 3am for the people from my campus).

I don't know anything about costs or scholarships for international students (I'm assuming it's the same as Canadian students), but what exactly do you mean by an international program? Shad only occurs on Canadian campuses, as far as I know (sorry if I misenterpreted what you were saying :D )

And, no problem about asking questions: I gladly promote the program whenever I can and enjoy answering questions and getting people interested

• 2 weeks later...

The program fee of $2,500* (basically $100/day) is only a fraction of the full cost of delivering the program. The fee covers all program activities, accommodations, and meals. NOTE: The fee does not include transportation costs to and from the Shad campus.

(For international students the fee is $6,000 CDN.

Thanks KLSmash for the info!

On a side note, that is a lot of money (especially if we take into account that the plane ticket is not included)

I know, I mean--even though I'm not an international student, $2500 is a lot of money (for my family). I would certainly love to do it as I've heard many great remarks about it, but it's just too expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No problem. Dalhousie is beautiful, and University of Calgary is just plain INTENSE (yay for Shad inside jokes :P ). From what I've heard, University of British Columbia is also very awesome. Technically though, you apply for all of the universities: you just list the unis in order of preference.

hihi

i applied for shad this year too

but i dont remember filling out any forms about which uni i wanna go to!

is it just me or do we get to choose after we're accepted?

and when will the result be released...

i really want the scholarhip....LOL

XD

yeayea

Edited by keegan0321

hihi

i applied for shad this year too

but i dont remember filling out any forms about which uni i wanna go to!

is it just me or do we get to choose after we're accepted?

and when will the result be released...

i really want the scholarhip....LOL

:P

yeayea

There wasn't any forms to fill out. I know all we did is just put A, B, C, or D beside our preferred unis. I remember we chose the university we wanted to go to when we applied, and when we were accepted they told us which one we were going to. Perhaps they changed the application process, and now they make the choice based on where you live, but I really don't know...

The results will take a while, considering applications can be sent in up until mid-January. You'll probably get a letter sent to you telling you your application is in, and then one to tell you whether or not you have been accepted. And yes, getting a scholarship is sweet, but it's just a BONUS. You'll understand once you get there.

Best of luck with being accepted!

• 3 weeks later...
There wasn't any forms to fill out. I know all we did is just put A, B, C, or D beside our preferred unis. I remember we chose the university we wanted to go to when we applied, and when we were accepted they told us which one we were going to. Perhaps they changed the application process, and now they make the choice based on where you live, but I really don't know...

The results will take a while, considering applications can be sent in up until mid-January. You'll probably get a letter sent to you telling you your application is in, and then one to tell you whether or not you have been accepted. And yes, getting a scholarship is sweet, but it's just a BONUS. You'll understand once you get there.

Best of luck with being accepted!

Thanks

but what do u mean by BONUS...

:)

Thanks

but what do u mean by BONUS...

:D

Getting a scholarship for it, yes, is awesome, but actually taking part in the program is the best part. I can say, with no uncertainty, that applying for Shad Valley was the best choice I have ever made, and that month I spent at U of C was probably the best month of my life :) When you apply, your main focus may be the scholarships you may recieve, but once you're there for a while, you'll get what I mean when I say that the scholarships are a "bonus".

• 1 year later...