Minimum SAT score for top Ivy Leagues

Arrowhead

I don't think there's a minimum score per say, but tell your friend he should be aiming for at least 2200, with a higher score all the better. Everyone from my school that was accepted to an Ivy League in the past few years had SAT scores of at least that, in addition to solid letters of recommendation, really good essays, great extracurriculars, and nearly perfect grades. So as long as he has all that with a score of at least that or better, I'd say your friend has a shot at being admitted.

• Like 1

There's no real "minimum" as I'm sure Ivys from all over the US accept people with huge ranges of scores. It all depends on how holistically good you are as a (person?) student. Things like excellence in athletics can make up for lower SAT scores or grades and still result in offers or even scholarships. With that said, the "average" student at Ivy league schools will typically be like the top caliber of student in the country, one who has elite grades, SATs and ECAs. Generally 2200 would be considered "decent" for Ivy leagues as I think it's in like the top 3 percentile of SAT scores, but the only people I know who got into Ivies had at least a 2300, so yeah.

• Like 1

Hey!

What would the answer to this be?

I have a junior asking me about this and I'm not sure what to tell him.

Arrowhead.

Hey Arrow!

I didn't realise you'd take my question so like seriously! (Unless you weren't asking because of me, in which case, this post is embarrassing)

Thank you all for like answering because the information is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thank you loads and loads!

Erudite.

• Like 1

An SAT superscore of 2200 should be more than enough, because you've still got other things to help lift your application. If you're interested, here are some statistics. Anyway, I think they say that for the same person taking the SAT over and over, if you're around the 2300 range, you can fluctuate from about 2200-2400, so it doesn't even really mean that much if you're close to 2400.

Though that having been said, I think that I read somewhere that 25% of Harvard undergrad students accepted were above 2380, but still, that's no reason to stress out.

• Like 1

An SAT superscore of 2200 should be more than enough, because you've still got other things to help lift your application. If you're interested, here are some statistics. Anyway, I think they say that for the same person taking the SAT over and over, if you're around the 2300 range, you can fluctuate from about 2200-2400, so it doesn't even really mean that much if you're close to 2400.

Though that having been said, I think that I read somewhere that 25% of Harvard undergrad students accepted were above 2380, but still, that's no reason to stress out.

Thank you for this!

I actually did get a 2380 so that's reassuring. :)

Thank you for this!

I actually did get a 2380 so that's reassuring. :)

Wow, what a coincidence! I got the same score as you. :) Now I'm stressing about the SAT subject tests, and my lack of study and general preparedness.

Wow, what a coincidence! I got the same score as you. :) Now I'm stressing about the SAT subject tests, and my lack of study and general preparedness.

If it helps, I thought some of the subject tests were easier than the genera SAT. Maths 1 was defo easier and so was Literature.

If it helps, I thought some of the subject tests were easier than the genera SAT. Maths 1 was defo easier and so was Literature.

Maybe I should have just been lazy and taken Maths I, instead of applying for Maths II. But it would look bad if I took the easy option and didn't bother studying just a tiny bit harder for the Maths II exam. My only consolation is that I can always retake them fairly easily, unlike IB exams.

Math II has a generous curve, I think upto 43/50 gives you an 800. Math I doesn't give you the chance to get even 1 wrong and still get 800. Btw for ivy leagues, I know someone who has a 1400 and is at an ivy. It depends, they admit people who have other special talents but not so great SAT scores. I myself got a 2050 on the SAT, I am at Penn.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, what kind of scores are ivy leagues looking for for the SAT subject tests? I've been trying to look around, but statistics are a bit more sparse. Also, do they expect more than 2, or would doing the IB sort of compensate for only trying out 2? Also, does it make a difference what subjects are chosen as to the score they want - for instance, some subjects are 'easier' to get 800 so will they be looked at as less valuable?

Well Ivy Leagues definitely require more than a 700 on the Subject Tests. But quite a few people do score a perfect 800 on most. And it depends on the uni really. If you look at the requirements for each uni, they'll either definitely want two, or they recommend three. For example, John Hopkins recommends three. And no the IB doesn't compensate for the subject SATs. And which ones you take depends on what your major is Since I got into engineering, I chose to do Maths Level II and Chemistry. The unis will generally specify which ones you should be taking depending on your major :)

• Like 1

If you are from a first world country, 2100.

If you are from a third world country, 2000.

If you are from a small first world country (population under 10 million), 2200.

If you are nationally ranked in a sport - take off 400 points.

This is overly simplistic, colleges take a hollistic approach to candidates. For instance, the social background counts a great deal, as well as race, parent's education, economic situation, and so on

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arrowhead wanted general guidelines, and the scores I have listed account for probably 90%+ of the successful international applicants. If a person lies below the minimum I have listed, they are in the special 10%, eg. from a country where not a lot of people apply.

That being said, colleges do, indeed, take a holistic approach. Assuming we are talking about international applicants here; nationality matters more than race. If you look at most of the successful applicants from Canada, New Zealand and Australia, they comprise of over-represented minorities not under-respresented minorities. In fact, looking at the statistics, affirmative action only works for American citizens, which makes sense.

Edited by Victor L