Recommendations - can a non-school, but academic teacher write one?

Erudite

Hey all!

My dance instructor who's like training me for my final showcase for my Kathak degree is a Harvard and Princeton alumnus and she offered to write one of my recommendations to these two schools. I should specify that I am in the last stage of my Kathak degree in Indian Classical Music and it is an accredited course recognised by Indian universities to get into further study programmes for Dance. I'm studying for theory exams (and have given 5 in the past) and everything.

So I was wondering, do you think a teacher/supervisor from a non-school academic pursuit can write one of my recommendations? Do you think it makes a difference since she's an alumnus of those two schools?

Thanks!!!!!

Erudite.

Unless the application explicitly states that the reference must be written by a given school staff member, it should be okay for it to be written by anyone, especially if this "anyone" happens to be an alumnus of the school you are applying to.

• Like 1