Improve vocabulary together

Erudite

Hey!

So I was thinking, one of the best ways to like improve your writing and essays is by increasing your vocabulary. But it's so tots boring to read thesauruses or just slowly pick up words.

So I thought maybe we could daily/weekly/whenever post a new and interesting word we came across with a basic definition/synonyms and maybe it's application in a sentence? That way everyone learns something!!

I'll start, my word of the day:

Word: Defenestration; to defenestrate

Definition: The action of throwing someone or something out of the window.

Example: If I hear Mirrors by Justin Timberlake one more time on the radio, I'm going to defenestrate the damn thing!

This is fun! I love learning lots of potentially pretentious words and then using them in many IB essays as possible.

Word: sesquipedalian

Definition: polysyllabic, long, (unnecessarily) wordy

Etymology (just because I'm a Latin student and I feel obliged to link it back to the Romans were possible): "sesqui" (one-and-a-half) + "pes, pedis" (feet)

Example: Perhaps it is portentous to admit this, but I thoroughly enjoy being sesquipedalian at any and every possible moment.

Word: callithumpian

Definition: a children's mummer's parade, as on the Fourth of July, with prizes for the best costumes.

I have no idea how to use it as i found this on dictionary.com ....

I really need to improve my vocab... this would be a brilliant idea but simply listing words, their definitions and an example doesn't seem enough. The whole purpose should be that people then have to use those words in sentences.

Such as, if I can not think of an IOP topic soon, then my brain is going to implode and I will defenestrate all my english text books!