Ideas for French B oral (recorded, yet again ;))

Enter Sandman

I promise, this is the last time I'll be bugging you guys about any sort of oral...my last oral, for french, is coming up soon and although I already have a topic (something on juvenile delinquency) I was wondering if you guys could suggest me a few other ideas. I onyl chose my current topic because I had to choose something - for some reason I can't seem to think of anything that would really interest me at the moment, so I'd be much obliged if you could think of something. Current/recent events would be great as well, e.g. NASA discovery, some global controversy, a united nations problem etc...yeah such events seem easy enough to remember but my brain doesn't seem to be functioning properly right now, I've been trying to think for hours and then finally gave up.

Oh and don't worry if you think the topic might be too hard for someone doing french B - I'm quite fluent in the language and actually started off with A2, but then had to change because at the time my workload was becoming quite heavy; long story.

Yeah, French B orals should have something to do with the language you're studying or the culture of the country...I was thinking some stuff you are considering could be inappropriate as well...

You could try to be specific about, however, like discussing something about juvenile delinquency in France or French people's attitude to it, or whatever. But yes, it should have at least some relation to France...or French things.

French bread ftw! seriously I did one of my practice orals on the origins of bread and how it started out in Egypt (or some other arabic country) and was developed into it's various forms in Europe (mostly Italy me thinks, but I'm sure you could always relate back to french bread :P )

if that doesn't work out to you hmmm... are u interesting in art? if so, do magritte :P he's french :P his brother was a plumber and he was a surrealist, I personally love him :P and his paintings were quite controversial... so I think you can find a lot of things to discuss on that :D

Oh yes, I'm aware that that it needs to be related to France - sorry I must have momentarily forgotten when I was wirting that NASA example (proof that my brains are not functioning :P ). And yeah HMS, my juvenile delinquency topic does in fact revolve around France - I'm just not that interested in it anymore.

French bread ftw! seriously I did one of my practice orals on the origins of bread and how it started out in Egypt (or some other arabic country) and was developed into it's various forms in Europe (mostly Italy me thinks, but I'm sure you could always relate back to french bread )

if that doesn't work out to you hmmm... are u interesting in art? if so, do magritte he's french his brother was a plumber and he was a surrealist, I personally love him and his paintings were quite controversial... so I think you can find a lot of things to discuss on that

Thanks for the suggestions :P I'll certainly take them into consideration, that magritte guy especially sounds quite intriguing.

Guest JustinaW

A topic that one of my friends was considering for their french oral was the ban of smoking in certain places in france and the effects that it had...One of my ideas for my french oral that I didn't use was something about the modern american music in france and the opinions of older french people about its affect on french colture.

I did my practise french oral on obesity in France and I got good marks for it. There is A LOT to talk about and loads of good websites with les chiffres. Just because France has nice food doesn't mean everyone is healthy! It was surprisingly interesting to research this topic and compare obesity in France to say England.

Just running with the *theme* of juvenile delinquency, you could look at the Paris Riots of 2004-05. Whilst a few years ago, the reason for the riots remains current.

I did mine on nuclear energy, and a friend did hers on the influences of American Rap on French Rap.

You could do anything you liked about fashion - recently there has been a move to remove models with BMI <18 from the runways.

Influence of txt tlk on spoken French - This was my original topic, I changed because I was bored. Alternatively, or equally, you could look at colloquial and/or slang French, and how this has impacted the culture (or has the culture impacted the language?)

(Good luck!)

You could do it on Immigration in France, simply because its such a bit issue in \france at the moment what with Sarkozy being leader and all :yes: He's meant to be pretty hard on immigration, verging on the edge on rascism.....

Plus there loads of key dates throughout France's history on immigration, for example around the Worlds Wars and from when France had loads of colonies.

Whoa thanks for all the interesting suggestions...I'd already changed my topic a few days ago though, I chose to do it on the recent ban of smoking in public places in France - as suggested by JustinaW up there...thank you once again, however. Even though I won't be needing some of those options, I'm sure they'd be highly useful to some other woe-begone IB french student who doesn't have a damn clue about what he/she wants to talk about.

• Like 1

I thought I would add my suggestion even though it seems you have decided. Mine is you that you could look at the flaws and strengths of the ideal of the dadaists in France.

One of my friends did hers on chanel, another did van gogh, and I cant remember any of the others.

• 2 weeks later...
I had no idea that it had to be about france, i did mine about animal testing and I got 29/30 on that portion, which resulted in me getting a 6 on my final grade

Is this your teacher's raw mark or have you already taken your exams and this is the moderated mark?

Because I'm pretty sure there's a criteria that says your recorded oral has to have something to do with the culture of the language.

Is this your teacher's raw mark or have you already taken your exams and this is the moderated mark?

Because I'm pretty sure there's a criteria that says your recorded oral has to have something to do with the culture of the language.

It does... but even if it's a minuscule link between your topic and something about french culture, it'll work