Feedback/Comments on my course selection for first year of IB!

IB .

Hello everyone,

Next year is my first year of IB and I was wondering if you guys can comment/give me feedback on my course selection:

Math HL (Have to learn online; lack of students)

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

French HL

Geography SL

English SL

I am planning to study medicine at uni. so those HL's are probably mandatory (probably not so much for the HL Math, but I want a challenge and I enjoy maths)

Also, would the work load be a lot if I were to take this combo. of courses? Would I have time for TOK, CAS, etc??

Any comments and/or feedback would be appreciated

Thanks! :julie:

Hi there! You seem like a hard working, dedicated student, which is great! If you work extremely efficiently, then good for you! :)
I personally would not suggest taking 4 Hl courses, especially HL math..........I know you want a challenge, however, honestly everyone that I know that takes HL math says it is a load of work, without the fourth HL course! I would suggest taking math SL and keeping everything else! :)

HL biology is a blast............HL chem is a pain which is why I dropped it to SL :P

Hey! Do you have English and French A or B? If you have both of them as A1 languages then you'll also have a lot of reading to do for the classes (less for English though since it's at SL), which is also pretty time consuming. If you don't necessarily need math HL then I would maybe drop it, especially since it would be self-studying and I know from reading the gibberish in my friend's textbooks that they're difficult concepts to wrap your head around. But if you enjoy maths and find the time to do it then I'm sure it'll work out – you can always start with 4 HLs and drop the one which proves most difficult :)

I personally wouldn't bother with the maths, it's nice for your app but not as important as the sciences, and the fact that it's online/fourth makes it extra awkward/annoying/difficult. Maths SL can be challenging too, but maths HL is insane, don't take it unless you really are a maths whiz and don't mind spending hours practicing it alongside your other subjects every night. (Think long and hard on that, it's easy to say 'yeah doesn't sound too tricky/daunting' but when days go by and it's dragging at you every day for what, 500+ days... you may regret it.)

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't bother with the maths, it's nice for your app but not as important as the sciences, and the fact that it's online/fourth makes it extra awkward/annoying/difficult. Maths SL can be challenging too, but maths HL is insane, don't take it unless you really are a maths whiz and don't mind spending hours practicing it alongside your other subjects every night. (Think long and hard on that, it's easy to say 'yeah doesn't sound too tricky/daunting' but when days go by and it's dragging at you every day for what, 500+ days... you may regret it.)

Okay, thanks for the comment. For our school, math sl starts at second semester and math hl starts at the first, so i have a long time to decide or even drop out.

Well then, give it a go! :) Give it a trial of two or three months or so, if you find that it's inconvenient or a struggle to keep up, then you know for sure you can make life ALOT easier by dropping to SL. And the difference is vast - my HL maths friends who usually seem to get 70-80% on HL Maths Papers (I say that but a couple of them often push that up to being closer to around 90%) yet seem to pessimistically doubt they'll get 70-75% overall were given SL papers once by accident. They all got 100% and were shocked and bitterly disappointed when told of the mix up :P

• Like 1

Well then, give it a go! :) Give it a trial of two or three months or so, if you find that it's inconvenient or a struggle to keep up, then you know for sure you can make life ALOT easier by dropping to SL. And the difference is vast - my HL maths friends who usually seem to get 70-80% on HL Maths Papers (I say that but a couple of them often push that up to being closer to around 90%) yet seem to pessimistically doubt they'll get 70-75% overall were given SL papers once by accident. They all got 100% and were shocked and bitterly disappointed when told of the mix up :P

Alright!! And yeah I heard that there's a huge gap between the levels of this course. And ahah nice trick :P