Hawraa Alekri

Good day,

For my EE, I chose ITGS as my subject. My topic is about social media and its role in teenagers' social life, where in I will focus on its influence on the way they socialize and communicate. I'm currently stuck between two research questions, "To what extent is the rapid development of social media applications influencing the way teenagers socialize and communicate?" and "What role does social media have in the social life of teenagers?". Which one do you think is best?

I will also greatly appreciate it if you would fill out this questionnaire I constructed, I'd be more than happy to return the favor.

Here is the link to my questionnaire:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/110nROjkijG18x6rMBWlLVo9b7B14p0IJopmUBvXz6pk/viewform

Thank you in advance :D

Not an ITGS student, but I would think that the "To what extent…" question is better because it allows for more analysis. The "What role.." question seems a bit more descriptive and it also seems to be just a bit more general than the first question.. but to be honest, I'm not sure if both research questions are specific enough? I mean, just from my initial thoughts, I'd assume this to be a really, really broad topic? Just my initial impressions though. Maybe your research proves otherwise :)

Did your questionnaire though :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much to those who have filled out my questionnaire.

Bluedino, yeah i'm aware that it is a broad topic but I'm planning to only focus on the social networking part of social media so does that make it more specific? Or do you have suggestions?

zas95, thank you so much! Good luck to you too!

• Like 1

So only the social networking part? I think that is a bit better than 'social media' - maybe put that in your question? So replace the 'social media' part with social networking.

Like I said, I am not an ITGS student, and I don't know anything about the course at all, so my opinion may be entirely inaccurate or maybe it is accurate, I don't know… I was just thinking that there are still so, so many social networking sites - each one works differently and each one influences teenagers differently and has a different role. The only suggestion I can think of to make it more specific would be to pick a certain social network and focus only on that. It could give you more space for depth?

Or maybe you could narrow down what "socialize and communicate" mean - is it how they are planning events/social outings, is it how they are saying happy birthday via online and not face to face, is it how they are adding friends of friends, is it how they are sharing videos with each other? "Socialize and communicate" can mean so many different things.

So I'm personally not really sure if your question is specific enough.. that's just what I think from an entirely general outsider perspective. Maybe talk to your teacher? :)

Edited by bluedino