Math Exploration - topic good enough?

Jenna26

I'm thinking about doing my IA on Graham's Number. I'll explain knuth's up-arrow notation and talk about the Ramsey Theory. Does that sound good for HL?

I'm afraid i wont be able to fulfil criterion E, use of mathematics.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Oh and, is there a world limit?

I'm not familiar with your topic, but I do know that there exists a famous word limit of 4000 words.

You should ask your supervisor whether equations should be included.

I know that it is fairly hard to succeed in a math EE, whereas experimental science EEs are known to be easier.

You should check out some good math books for inspiration.

Personally I really like 'the pleasures of counting'.

It made me regret I chose a physics EE.

Edited by Joep ten Wolde

IA's for math don't have a word limit. That being said, spare your teacher and don't turn in a 50 page IA. :P The amount of words you will have will be the amount you decide that sufficiently covers your topic.

If you're worried about having a lack of mathematics, perhaps you could focus on a particular real-world application of Graham's number/Ramsey's theorem instead of just talking about the theorem itself. The old IA's, no matter which portfolio you were doing, always had you develop a problem and either come up with a general solution or find a function to fit data. Try to do something like that. You could use the theoretical background to provide an introduction to your problem, and then solve it or come up with a general solution for your application using Ramsey's theorem.

• Like 2

It's recommended that your exploration should be 6-12 pages long...

And as for criterion E, you'll probably ace it cause you're doing something outside the syllabus. As long as you explain everything and show that you actually understand what's going on, then you'll get the marks...

• Like 2

• 10 months later...