Missing University requirement by 2 Points

Ollie Simbunga

Hi, so I messed up on my IB exams by 2 points. My requirement was to get 27 IB points. And I got 25. The thing is, I have already paid by 250 pound deposit for my room and my offer for accommodation is complete.

So I just want to know your opinion and your experiences of missing 2 points away from your IB requirements.. Please Share.

Thanks

-Oliver

I wouldn't call it quits yet. Call the university that gave you your offer and see if they'll still accept you with a 25. They might, especially if you were extremely close to the next grade up. Ask your IB coordinator for the grade breakdowns in a couple of days. You may have just narrowly missed the next boundary by a percentage or two, and if your university won't consider you without 27 points, you might try remarking those exams.

I wouldn't call it quits yet. Call the university that gave you your offer and see if they'll still accept you with a 25. They might, especially if you were extremely close to the next grade up. Ask your IB coordinator for the grade breakdowns in a couple of days. You may have just narrowly missed the next boundary by a percentage or two, and if your university won't consider you without 27 points, you might try remarking those exams.

Thanks for your reply, and what does remarking mean?

You can have your IB exams physically remarked by an examiner. Say I got a 5 on my HL chemistry exam but I needed a 6 for a university offer. If my IB coordinator agreed, at least one examiner (it might be two, I'm not sure) will remark your paper 1, your paper 2, and your paper 3. My IA won't get remarked because it's internally assessed, as my teacher already graded it and IB checked their grading to make sure it was fair, but all the externally assessed components (the exam itself in this case) get remarked. Remarking does cost money, and it's only really valuable if a university won't accept you (which you should check with first, people on here have missed their offers by a point or two or got a higher points total than needed but got a 6 instead of a 7 on something and were still accepted somewhere) and you are like within 2 or 3 percent of the next grade up. If you're like 10 whole marks away from the next level it's very unlikely you'll go from like a 3 to a 4, but if you're like 1 mark away it's possible you may see an increased grade.

• Like 3