Reese Wahlin

Okay so basically, here is my problem:

I am no protégé scientist, I detest math, History bores me like no other and my liberal art/cultural interests are next to nothing.

Basically I dabble.

I like to learn, but as soon as I begin one topic, I become enthralled by another. I am never able to set myself on a course, stay with it, and immerse myself in the topic.

The only topic that truly interests me – and that I am somewhat good at – is writing.

(I also like computer programming but just for the fact that it sounds cool - I'm at a loss when it comes to actually learning and implementing the techniques)

I am just asking for an array of Essay topics to choose from.

I have scoured this site and made no headway in choosing the topic for my EE (furthermore, I have sat, dumbfounded, for nearly 2 months trying to figure out what I want to do.)

I believe it would be extremely beneficial for a majority of students who visit this site, not to mention me, and fail to find the topic that will allow them to complete this titan of a diploma, while utilizing it in a positive way to enhance their own lives.

Pardon me if this post is not pursuant to the guidelines outlined in the multiple different posts, however, I truly feel like a thread of random, wishy-washy, chaotic ideas could do a great deal to clear up the confusion surrounding ones choice for their Extended Essay topic.

We can't give you a topic for your EE, as it's something you're graded on and to give you a topic would be cheating. Even if your topic is due tomorrow and you've been sitting for months without one, you still have to come up with something on your own.

(I vote that we have something like this at the top of this forum so everyone's aware.)

Also, you can't just pick any topic you want. It must fit 100% into a subject that IB offers, and it must follow all of those topics guidelines (i.e. for a biology EE any experiments involving animals must be ethical). Since you said the only thing you really like is writing, you're in luck, because with an EE you get to write 4000 words of fun! Actually I lie because I liked writing my EE but that's because I liked my topic. You can't really do any creative writing though, but liking writing and being decent at it will at least make a well-written in terms of grammar, flow, etc EE.

Anyone who's having trouble thinking of a topic within a certain subject should do some exploring on the internet, reading articles of things they like, talking to people, anything really. Also you never know when your topic will come to you. I got my topic for a history EE sitting in my Spanish class one day. If you're truly struggling to come up with a topic in a certain subject and time is running out, perhaps consider switching to a different subject, one that might be a little easier to do (especially if you don't have a lot of time left). Pick something and stick with it. You don't have to LOVE your topic, but you should like it enough or be able to tolerate it enough to spend a few months on your topic to get it done.

• Like 2

Hey there!

After Emy's advice, there isn't really much to say for me, as they were exactly what I would otherwise have said. I can add, though, that you should read through the pinned threads on this sub-forum (that is, all the threads with a drawing pin in front of the titles), as they should be a massive help. Other than that, do as Emy said and you should be able to develop some independent ideas soon.

(I vote that we have something like this at the top of this forum so everyone's aware.)

Actually, there is this 'Extended Essay Rules - Read carefully before starting a thread!' text right underneath the forum title, and it links to the forum rules of the Extended Essay forum, which in turn refers to the pinned thread called 'Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!.' I'm sure this could be handled in a easier and more efficient way, though.

---

EDIT: The forum rules now explicitly states that people will have to find their own topics, instead of merely sending people over to the 'EE for Dummies' thread. Credits to Sandwich!

Edited by alefal

Hey

As Emy has said (rather emphatically), we can't really give you ideas. If you had a topic, we could maybe suggest if you could word it in a better way or something.

Since you're well and truly stuck, and you like writing, why don't you try doing your EE in English? You could analyze authors' techniques, devices used, etc. It would even help you develop as a writer in general (like how when I did my EE in music, I developed as a jazz player). You should google for sample topics, try to see what sort of thing the IB is looking for, but DO NOT PLAGIARIZE.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to do an EE, whether you like it or not. Try to get started on it ASAP, so that you'll enjoy at least part of it, and avoid all the crazy last minute rushes.

Also, sometimes its better to just pick a rough topic and get started. You can refine your topic or content as you go along. A blank page is always scary, but once you start, you'll be surprised at how much your ideas flow!

compare how a particular technique (in one novel) has been implemented in another book?

see how a particular event affected the author and how it is present in the novel?

do a critique on something? (the other day I was preparing my IOP topic on Kesey's view on racism, and I came across a site where it claimed that Kesey was racist, in making the orderlies, or the nasty people in the book, black. This was completely not true, because the purpose of him creating these people black is to show the injustice in the society, as well as them serving a mask to the even bigger bully) But I am not sure if this is allowed for an EE in English.

rough ideas, I will not give you a topic (dude, it is also against the rules)